Replaced 2 year old air filter

2004 Chevy avalanche
2 year old champion paper filter, not many miles but went off-roading multiple times (dusty conditions), probably could have run it longer. Replaced w a Fram ultra $15 air filter that I will run bout 50k miles.
755F8431-39F2-475B-87A6-B5A31512F484.jpeg

PFFFT! 2years old? That's nothing. Just do like the oil filter guys that run their oil filter multiple OCI's. Use it again. :rolleyes:
Seriously, it doesn't look bad. But, I bet if you turn it upside town and shake it you can probably build a sand castle.
Good choice on the replacement filter. ;)

I think my circumstances allow me to be in the "30/2.5" camp (30,000 mi. / 2 1/2 year) for both engine & CAF.
Checking = changing.
Wash your housings.

I could easily go 5yr 60k miles on the engine air filter vs going 2.5 years 30k miles on the cabin air filter.

2004 Chevy avalanche
2 year old champion paper filter, not many miles but went off-roading multiple times (dusty conditions), probably could have run it longer. Replaced w a Fram ultra $15 air filter that I will run bout 50k miles.
Not sure I'd go 50K miles. I went 50K miles on my Toyotas OEM air filter and it was only driven on paved roads the whole time. Filter was way dirtier than I thought ... couldn't even see any light through it. Truck still seemed to run OK, but no light at all is well past a change IMO. Next time I'm changing it at 30K miles.

Rand said above: "I could easily go 5yr 60k miles on the engine air filter....".

I've read claims that engine air filters are way oversized and last a real long time. I'm glad they do.
There was While there was no difference in operation with new elements, all that loose dirt was just a tear away from going into my engine.

30K might be too low.

Using a restriction gauge, my last filter change at 11" restriction was 43k miles and about 8 years.
The OEM Toyota filter did not use a rubber gasket that could deteriorate.

Looks pretty clean. Toyota says 120k and since I don't live in a desert, I've been ok with that.

With that said, sometimes it's rough getting to that distance, I've lost two in my truck in about as many years due to mice. One year, in my Jetta, about 5 pounds of acorns were removed. That was one time that I did think I could feel a difference after a new air filter.

For the engine air filter?
Hmm, I may be wrong on that one: Toyota makes it infuriating to figure these things out. Instead of giving a simple chart of how often they give a table of "at 5k do this, at 10k do that" and it spans multiple pages. Rereading it, it appears it might be every 30k. Maybe it was my Jetta that was 100k? That car is long gone and I'm not going to look it up now (usually did it at TB change).

Regardless, I have been doing 100k. Or until rodents chew holes in 'em. Parking inside should make them last much longer.

Hmm, I may be wrong on that one: Toyota makes it infuriating to figure these things out. Instead of giving a simple chart of how often they give a table of "at 5k do this, at 10k do that" and it spans multiple pages. Rereading it, it appears it might be every 30k. Maybe it was my Jetta that was 100k? That car is long gone and I'm not going to look it up now (usually did it at TB change).

Regardless, I have been doing 100k. Or until rodents chew holes in 'em. Parking inside should make them last much longer.
Dang, 100K seems way to long for an air filter after what I saw at 50K miles on my Toyota Tacoma (which has a large air filter). And that was all paved road driving, and a lot of it in the rain when the stuff on the roads doesn't fly up in front of you into the air from cars driving ahead. I'm shooting for 30K mile air filter changes now.

My old TDI had a turbo, so it'd just pull harder if there was any restriction. I'm not WOT all that often on the current fleet so a bit of restriction doesn't mean much to me. Maybe I should drop to 50k, if the manual is calling for 30k--I've gone well past that w/o issue, so I have to think the 30k is meant to cover all of the US, and apparently my corner of the world isn't that bad.

Now cabin filters don't last that long! Based on what is trapped in mine... I sometimes wonder if I should trade out of the lone vehicle that lacks one.

I change them out every 5 years regardless of mileage. Paper media gets disintegrated, foam seal not pliable anymore, the amount of salt that dried onto the filter since being on an island the salt is in the air.

Just replaced the air filter on my 2017 RAM this morning. Factory filter, truck only has 19K miles and the filter was mostly clean. Went with the "Walmart exclusive" Fram Ultra to replace it, and as it turns out the pleats are "taller" on the replacement filter....so maybe it can go longer?

Ill just start replacing every 2 years like I should have (truck hasnt really gone anywhere in the last year because Covid)

Back