Replace these trailer wheel studs?

30 year old tow dolly. Already have the hubs off to replace the bearings so it would be easy to replace the bolts now. It took some effort to get the nuts off the bolts with an impact, as the nuts had to ride through some rust on the ends of the studs. Should I replace them? They are 1/2-20 thread. Spline diameter and length are 0.54" Thread length 1.25" Overall length 2.10" Where do I find replacements that aren't made in China that won't rust faster in 3 years than these did after 30?

IMG_5626.JPG

They don’t look too bad as long as they aren’t too rusty like all the way through. I’d wire wheel them and put them back in. Good luck finding any quality studs. When we have to replace studs at work we use what the parts store has I think it’s usually Dorman I personally would not use them by choice but that’s just me.

They look rough but likely serviceable. I would replace them and use new lug nuts if inexpensive.

Edit: Dorman 610-390 looks like the equivalent. Amazon has them for $20/10. Old-school part stores might have them for individually for about the same price.

Last edited:
Not sure how rusty they are. Maybe just chase and call it good. If worried, I'd hammer one out, take to the local store and buy new studs. But I don't think they look that bad.

They look OK.
Anti seize on the studs. Decades of snowmobile trailering and it's a must do as it's spending a lot of time out in the salt and winter roadside flat tires are bad enough.
Anti-seize is on all 4 of the trailers I have, even the ones that do not see salted road use, and zero issues with lug nuts or studs and hub flanges.

I use grease on my automotive studs, and a smidge on the lugnut cone surfaces. I suppose I could use Neverseize, as an alternative. I also don't go to full torque values, as a result. Many would suggest this is folly. It has always served me well.

I would avoid anti-seize on the studs, hub yes. I will admit I have done it mildly before and, if some gets on the studs I leave it be, but it can be frowned upon but it's never been a problem for me.

Last edited:
Electrolysis them and see how well they clean up.

The classic advice of using a wire wheel or wire brush is simpler and better.

Electrolysis cleans the surface to bright metal, but leaves embedded hydrogen. That's bad on a stressed stud -- you don't to risk crack formation

The classic advice of using a wire wheel or wire brush is simpler and better.

Electrolysis cleans the surface to bright metal, but leaves embedded hydrogen. That's bad on a stressed stud -- you don't to risk crack formation
Eh, fair enough. :)

Use a thread chaser or wire brush to clean em up and reuse. Nothing wrong with a dab of anti seize. I would suggest that if you add up all the time messing around with the studs you can get a complete new hub for probably $25-$35 online. Oh and clean it and shoot some Krylon on that thing lol.

Remove, soak in ospho. Let ospho clean all but the races on the hub. Put all back together, pint with cold galvanizing paint.

Be careful with any grease or anti seize. It will effect the torque needed to tighten the wheel nuts.

Soak in EvapoRust. Its great stuff if the item can be soaked for a few days.

I saw on a TV show where they used White Vinegar to remove rust.
Soak it overnight.
It contains Acetic Acid.

I'm waiting to find something rusty, but every thing on my vehicle has oil undercoating.

Be careful with any grease or anti seize. It will effect the torque needed to tighten the wheel nuts.

Soak in EvapoRust. Its great stuff if the item can be soaked for a few days.
I use about 75% of the recommended torque... It hasn't resulted in prbs for me yet. Using grease, some of the "light-ends" in the grease soon flashes-off and it becomes stickier, but lugnuts come off when loosened, NP.

Not scientific I know.

Back