replace it, drive it, or put money into it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an '06 Infiniti FX45. This vehicle has been great for me, very few, minor repairs in the last 175K miles. It has developed a minor front end clunk when braking - which is making me crazy. My first inclination is to use this as an excuse to replace the front end parts, which have never been touched (so everything except the struts and strut mounts). Looking at tie-rod ends, inner and outer, I see that I can get a new OE rack for a few hundred dollars more, combined OE with bushings and control arms, this would be my first major cash infusion at probably $1,500 all in (I can do the labor).

At 175K, I have not had an AC, Alternator, Engine, Transmission, Power Window, radar cruise control, etc. problem. I have had to replace the engine fan and clutch as well as a cam position sensor and valve covers and maybe the rear brake calipers, although I'm not convinced they needed to be replaced.

The paint is great, the interior is perfect except for a crack that is developing on the side of the driver's seat (which apparently, they all get), I spent a lot of time many years ago making this vehicle silent inside w/ sound deadening and sticky pads - it has no rattles or vibrations - aside from that new creak.

My concern is that the engine is a one off that was only produced in this configuration for about 2 years in very limited numbers - they are hard to find. The transmission has been perfect, but how many miles can it have left? The engine has had piston slap since it was new, and a dull rod knock noise that has also remained unchanged (I have recordings about every 30K). It currently burns no oil between OCI - which is very rare for this particular high-rpm 32 Ti valve engine.

I prefer it to the newer model, which is probably what i would replace it with, I haven't seen anything I would rather have. The new V8 model was made in even more limited numbers and IMO doesn't drive as well as the old one - but they are newer and should add a few more years of service - assuming I get a good one. The newer ones have ~400 HP, but are heavier, not as free-revving and still about 5.2 seconds 0-60, which is only a few tenths faster than mine.

I know the history of this one, if I were to buy a newer one (the last year they were made was 2014) I could be facing similar repairs to what I am on the old one.

I guess I am wondering if it is a bad idea to put much money into a 12 y/o vehicle that may have another year or two left in it. I also really enjoy not having a car payment. I could fix the creak for a couple hundred dollars, but at the same time, If I am going to pull the control arms off, why not do the whole job and use parts that will last the life of the vehicle.

With the current miles, the car is probably worth about $6K. Did I mention that I like not having a car payment?

I guess I am at a fork in the road and I need to figure out if I want to commit to replacing the tranny and/or engine when the time comes - usually around 220K in these from what I have seen. I drive 20K a year in it, so maybe two years if I am lucky. I am just getting ready to drive it on a 3K mile vacation and if I am going to do the front end work I would like to do it before I leave.

I guess the front end work is only slightly higher than a set of tires, which typically last one year with my driving.

I am not against driving it until it will go no more and then scrapping it. Assuming zero residual value, my cost per mile has been ridiculously low for a vehicle like this. I bought it for a good price when it was slightly used.

Thoughts?

A new car payment is about $500 / month usually. So this is 3 months payments. If you drive it longer than 3 months with this repair you have broken even. If you get the 2 years you are looking for then you are ahead. at 175K I would fix it if the rest of the car is in good shape as you say and because it was looked after.

Last edited:
My answer is in my sig. The IS350 and the Highlander are not mine. I just take care of them.

If you're happy with it and aren't itching to get a different car, keep it.

But I wouldn't just go replace everything unless you see bushings are cracked and everything is just worn out. Need to find the noise first, might be something simple.

Originally Posted by CBR.worm
I could fix the creak for a couple hundred dollars, but at the same time, If I am going to pull the control arms off, why not do the whole job and use parts that will last the life of the vehicle.
Because throwing parts at an old car is a bad idea. Are you a mechanic or a parts swapper? Diagnose and fix!

Keep it. But just replace what is worn or seems like it is starting to wear (for example, such as ball joints that are just starting to get sone play but not in need of replacement yet). Replace the transmission fluid and if it has a serviceable filter so hopefully you can get a few more years out of it

I'll put money in a nice used vehicle with over 200K, if the interior and ergonomics are good. Mechanicals are repair items. Just fix it. It'll likely go to 300K
smile.gif

Fix it, and make it right to last 2 years. The payment for a similar vehicle will be close to $700+ / month with small down payment.

Before you decide what to do, take your car to Carmax for appraisal.

I say keep it. If you know you've maintained it well, it may last longer than you think. I feel like I could jump in or on any one of my cars or bikes and go cross-country.

Personally, if it needed a part in the front end, I'm more of the parts swapper. If I have to get in there and remove something, I might as well replace it. Unless if I know it's not worn out, or if I can afford the time to replace later, I'd rather replace with all new good parts (not cheapo parts store stuff!) and motor on. If the cost to do so is going to be vastly less than a car payment, then I don't see the issue. Having to roll into the shop once/month to deal with a new clunk or worn out item... gets old fast.

I think I'd leave the rack alone but wouldn't be against at least going through all the other front end parts.

I think you're better off getting a few more miles out of this. Maybe when the trans goes flip it, but until then, get your money's worth.

Why do you think it's only going to give you two more years? 175k miles isn't particularly high, and with a bit of maintenance it will go twice that. Change all the fluids and fix the front end. Drive it for another 12 years and let us know when it has 350k miles on it.

Last edited:
Ok, so I'm not crazy. Most of you seem to be on the same page I am. I'll report back with an odo pic at 200K.

As far as replacing extra parts, I'm not worried about it. Once I get my chassis ears back, I'll pinpoint the problem for sure (for all I know it could be a subframe connection). But, if I am going to take it apart, I would rather replace everything with OE parts while I am in there and never have to touch the front end again. I also figure that with 175K, the steering components must be worn. It doesn't seem that long ago that tie rod ends were replaced regularly - or maybe that's because in the 80's I went to sketchy chain tire shops.

Thanks

If we were talking about an '06 Hyundai Accent, I'd say ditch it, but an FX45 is a very sweet ride. One of my favorites, as a matter of fact. You know its history, and you seem to like it, so fix it and enjoy it for a while longer. At some point, it'll become a pain in the @$$, needing more frequent repairs, and that's when you say your goodbyes.

Dude, that's your car. Keep it. There is no reason a well built performance vehicle can't last 250-300,000 miles without a major component failure. My old cammed 2005 CTS-V is still on the road, original LS6 and T56 have over 200,000 miles. I ran that car hard. There is a video of it floating around youtube in 5th gear on the redline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back