Replace calipers because the pistons are difficult to push in? 2019 Transit

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
This is a van at work one of my guys drives. 2019 Transit 250 with 88k on the odo. I get a call from the fleet management company looking for approval to do 4 tires, front pads, rotors, calipers and hoses. I ask why it needs calipers and hoses, and of course this went from the tech to the service writer at the dealer, to the fleet company and then to me - I'm playing a literal game of telephone here. I'm told it was because the pistons were tough to push in, never heard of such a thing. Van is in NY so corrosion could be a factor. If you're curious, this all costs $3,100. 💸 💸 💸 💸

I do a ton of REAR calipers, that's for sure. Front's? Not so much.
I totally missed the rear part. Ya tons of rears, hardly ever fronts. Ford doesn't list slide pins for the front ones, so you have to get them in caliper brackets since according to Ford, a caliper and a bracket are different parts and don't come together.

Stupid question here ...
Are they aware that most all of Ford's newer caliper pistons don't "push in"? There is a special tool to twist the puck in a screw motion.

Stupid question here ...
Are they aware that most all of Ford's newer caliper pistons don't "push in"? There is a special tool to twist the puck in a screw motion.

The OP specifically referred to the front calipers.

In regards to the rear calipers: the ratchet design employed by the Transit differs from the mainstream for one reason. Said calipers retract in opposite directions, with the LH caliper requiring RH rotation while the RH caliper requires the opposite.

The OP specifically referred to the front calipers.

In regards to the rear calipers: the ratchet design employed by the Transit differs from the mainstream for one reason. Said calipers retract in opposite directions, with the LH caliper requiring RH rotation while the RH caliper requires the opposite.

that takes a mech 5 seconds to figure out though

This is a van at work one of my guys drives. 2019 Transit 250 with 88k on the odo. I get a call from the fleet management company looking for approval to do 4 tires, front pads, rotors, calipers and hoses. I ask why it needs calipers and hoses, and of course this went from the tech to the service writer at the dealer, to the fleet company and then to me - I'm playing a literal game of telephone here. I'm told it was because the pistons were tough to push in, never heard of such a thing. Van is in NY so corrosion could be a factor. If you're curious, this all costs $3,100. 💸 💸 💸 💸

Since you're from phoenix I doubt it's corrosion related. Sometimes the seals swell enough to bind the piston a bit though I have 0 experience with transits so don't know if that happened here.

At worst I suspect they need resealing. 10 minute job once the caliper is off the van and shouldn't break the bank.

Loosen the bleeder, if it is still hard to push back either put new pistons and seals in it or replace. It isn't going to push back with 2 fingers but it shouldn't take too much effort. In NE it certainly is a possibility in AZ no.

Vehicle is in NY

I'll bet money no dealer mechanic is going to "repair" or rebuild a brake caliper, no matter how easy.

In that case it might need pistons aswell.

I used to do it when I was a dealer mech. Only times I replaced a caliper was when I couldn't get the old piston out anymore. That's happened a handful of times, rebuilding almost every other day.

that takes a mech 5 seconds to figure out though

It takes an EXPERIENCED mechanic more than 5 seconds to figure out the first time. The entire rear brake job on a Transit defies natural logic, from removing the axle shafts to knocking loose the rotors. The counter-rotating caliper design just adds to the confusion, even after taking into account the arrow that's cast into the housing indicating the direction of rotation while retracting.

Caliper pistons being hard to push in can indeed be a sign of calipers hanging up and needing replacement, although effort can differ from vehicle to vehicle. Whoever's doing the brake job needs to be smart enough to open the bleeder before they retract the pistons so they don't have the added effort from pushing fluid back through the hydraulic system. As far as rebuilding calipers nobody does that anymore, at least not around here. Nobody keeps seals in stock, if they even list a part number. Also, in extreme cases if there's been moisture in the caliper the housing and piston can corrode, pit, and won't seal against a new seal anyway.

Well I guess if there's one thing I can be happy about at work, it's that the owner hasn't discovered these things. We have to finish putting brake lines in every rusted out GMT800 that can be found in Montana or Idaho or whatever first. We spent $2k at a dealer we aren't associated with in Maine just getting an F-450 to move. Like not stop, move. All I can say is if it needs more than pads and rotors, I want to bail, but can't. 🤣

It takes an EXPERIENCED mechanic more than 5 seconds to figure out the first time. The entire rear brake job on a Transit defies natural logic, from removing the axle shafts to knocking loose the rotors. The counter-rotating caliper design just adds to the confusion, even after taking into account the arrow that's cast into the housing indicating the direction of rotation while retracting.
I looked up rear pads on a 22 full size and the wear sensor is only sold with the pad set...

Never replaced calipers, ever, ever. Only wear items like pads and rotors. Reconditioning or rebuilding calipers, yes. Unfortunately, these days with labor costs it may be better to replace rather than recondition/rebuild. Really depends. Do my own work shining up the pins, cleaning everything, replacing seals, lubing, new pads installed, bleeding, etc. Always been happy with the outcome so far. Will see how it works out for current late models that require parking brake/abs reset tools and maybe more.

Back