replace battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad and I were talking over the weekend about my uncle who changes his batterys ever 5 years weather they need it or not. I thought it was a little extreme my dad however didnt ( even though he has always changed his when they died lol). He went on to say i should be changing my battery on my truck soon because its 5 years old. What do you guys think?

I replace my Wal-Mart battery every 24 months. Typically they don't last much longer and when they die... that's it.

I do the same in my Wife's and my Sister's car as I have been called out to the middle of a poorly lit parking lot at 10 pm to help jump start a car before. It's not fun, and kinda creepy.

It may be the Tx heat or something. I don't think I have ever had a battery last 5 years.
What brand battery do you have that lasts 5 years? That's a pretty long time.

I've always replaced them when they die. Rarely am I ever somewhere that a decent source for batteries is not readily available. I've had batteries last as little as 3 years and as long as nearly 10 years, so it's anyone's guess when a battery will go, short of testing.

The original battery in the Camaro lasted 7 years, as did the Wal-Mart battery in my truck that I changed last week. Usually, though, I start getting itchy at about 5 years and look for a good reason to change them.

I usually wait until they fail.

In my present vehicle, I replaced the OEM battery after 7 years. I've got 5 on it's replacement and I don't plan to change it for several years.

Every 24 months? Must be the heat.

Thanks guys, yeah its the motorcraft battery the truck left the factory with in late 06 and it sat till I got it in july. I think I will just leave it for another year or so, unless it seems like it is slow cranking.

I live in Michigan where the roads are worse than a Third World Nations’. Between the potholes shaking the lead plates, and the Winter temperatures, 5 years is the average battery life span. The best battery I had was the original Nissan battery in my '95 Sentra it lasted 11 years until the case started to leak. The replacement was another Nissan battery and it lasted until the road salt finally killed the engine mount points.

Your battery will last a lot longer than one that lives in hot places. In cold places, the coldest time of the year is when the biggest load is placed on the battery. So that is when your battery is more likely to fail you.

Think about what a battery failure will mean to you. Do you generally park where you have access to a good charger or a friend who will give you a jump in zero degree weather? Stretching the life of the battery until you get a symptom is not such a bad idea. If you are not in that kind of situation, replacing your battery is a good idea.

My cars- I wait until I detect signs of failure (although sometimes they die very suddenly in the heat of summer- as in starts fine on the way to work in the morning, then at lunch it won't even light the dome light or click a relay).

With the cars my wife and daughter drive, I tend to be a little more proactive. Like when the battery in MY Jeep dies, I buy a new one and put it in my wife's car or my daughter's Jeep and move the older battery to my Jeep. And yes, you can put a Group 34 (not 34R) battery in a PT Cruiser if you modify the cables a wee bit ;-)

Last edited:
Batteries are way more expensive than they used to be. I just bought my first $100 battery about a month ago. I tend to be in the category of replace it when it dies, because I have the ability and time to get it done. But now that my oldest two girls are off at college with their OLD cars...

After 4 years or so,your battery is living on borrowed time.Original batteries seem to last well because the car and everything else is brand new....alternator,wiring,etc.You will never get 10+ years out of any battery in a 1992 or so vehicle..things just degrade with time. Batteries are like refrigerators though,who replaces them until they leave you in the lurch? Well,at least someone does.Congrats to him.He's playing things safe and sound.

Lead is in short supply and very expensive.Some core deposits have run $16.00 whereas they used to be $4-6,just because they need the old scrap lead back again.With all the recycling,I think its hurting the lifespan of new batteries.I have seen black colored battery acid in a new battery....you know thats not pure.

I usually replace mine every 3 years... The Texas heat will kill batteries - if you get 5-7 years out of one down here, you're very fortunate.
Its also a good idea to have the alternator serviced at the same time, especially if you're up past 100,000 miles. Alternators don't last forever - I'm on my third set of brushes, 3rd regulator, 2nd rotor assembly... and only at 170,000 miles.

I get my battery tested, and if Im not sure it will last longer than a few months I replace it. So far 5 years on OEM battery and it still tests as good. I dont consider myself an environmentalist but id rather get the most out of a battery before getting rid of it. I figure better on the environment and better on my wallet, but I will try to avoid being stranded with a questionable battery. Also, make sure to keep your battery clean, and i usually spray on some terminal paint, I find it seems to help.

I just replaced the original battery in my 2004 Silverado even though it still started the engine fine. Id rather do it when Im at home than someplace along ways from home. I replaced it with an AC/Delco.

I also live in the Dallas area. I like to replace at five years but I have had a couple fail at 3 years. I considered switching over to an Optima but a special tray is required for my Mustang.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
I usually replace mine every 3 years... The Texas heat will kill batteries - if you get 5-7 years out of one down here, you're very fortunate.
Its also a good idea to have the alternator serviced at the same time, especially if you're up past 100,000 miles. Alternators don't last forever - I'm on my third set of brushes, 3rd regulator, 2nd rotor assembly... and only at 170,000 miles.

The alternator in my LS400 didn't get replaced until 200+k miles, the problem was PSF leaking down from power steering pump right on top of the alternator and short it.

The alternator in my 130+k miles in E430 is original, and I don't plan to do anything to it yet. Checking the voltage with engine at idle it still generate 14-14.2 volts.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
It may be the Tx heat or something. I don't think I have ever had a battery last 5 years.
What brand battery do you have that lasts 5 years? That's a pretty long time.

Texas heat would be your answer. Up here, if we had any battery, regardless of the brand, fail after two years, there'd be a riot at the store.

I bought Motorcraft BXT49 from a Ford dealer with 3 years free replacement and 100 months pro-rate. I love to have the battery failed at 2 years and 11 months so that I will have a new one free.

The acid is black form positive plate material, usually from overcharging.

Whereas the acid is probably recycled any battery manufacture is going to use new acid for a battery fill. It would be too time consuming to try and get the used acid at the specific gravity that is desired to try and reuse it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back