Replace 2 tires or all 4?

Last year early spring my wife had a flat tire on her civic that needed a tire replacement so I did that with the same OE Firestone tire thinking I’d wait till winter and replace all the tires. A few days later my wife tells me that I should have replaced 2 tires to have a new matching pair. Ok fine, I replaced another tire to have a new matching pair or the same tire that’s on the car.

Fast forward to today and the 2 newer tires are fine but the 2 older tires have became very noisy and they should probably be replaced.

Do I buy 2 more Firestone tires to have them match or just bite the bullet and get a whole new set? The reason I’m considering a whole new set is that Continental is having a sale and I can get a set for around $400 after rebates plus install. Also the Firestone tires are not great in the winter. She has gotten stuck on a slight hill in the snow before.

IMG_2903.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

My first instinct would be to just buy 2 but if the deal for $100/per tire is only good if you buy all 4, then I would get all 4. Now the best would be 2 of the Continentals if they would sell to you for $100 per tire.
I have no problem with the fronts and rear tires being different brands.

Had to replace 1 RT43 (H) due to puncture . Bought 2 new RT43 (H) and placed those on the front and the original 43s' stayed on the rear . They were within 2/32s' so they have remained on the front close to 2 ( or 3 ? ) years and all are now within 1/32s' of one another . Use studded snows from late November to mid to late April that helped extend the life of the RT43 tires .

Last edited:
Buy two from a brand that gives you an honest price, not a gimmicky high one with rebates. Or ask for the two good ones back and sell them on FBM for $75 for the pair.

Your town has an annual snowfall of 28 inches, so I understand trying to avoid winter tires but yet still have some functionality.

Last year early spring my wife had a flat tire on her civic that needed a tire replacement so I did that with the same OE Firestone tire thinking I’d wait till winter and replace all the tires. A few days later my wife tells me that I should have replaced 2 tires to have a new matching pair. Ok fine, I replaced another tire to have a new matching pair or the same tire that’s on the car.

Fast forward to today and the 2 newer tires are fine but the 2 older tires have became very noisy and they should probably be replaced.

Do I buy 2 more Firestone tires to have them match or just bite the bullet and get a whole new set? The reason I’m considering a whole new set is that Continental is having a sale and I can get a set for around $400 after rebates plus install. Also the Firestone tires are not great in the winter. She has gotten stuck on a slight hill in the snow before.

View attachment 225232

View attachment 225233
How old are the existing tires ?

2 tires would run around $300 plus tax and install
Since it is your wife's primary vehicle and the fact that you are less than impressed with the Firestone tires foul weather performance, it makes no sense to try and save $100 by going with 2 tires. Get the Continentals for $400 and either keep the 2 Firestones as spares or sell them on Craigslist for ~$75.

If you drive on wintery roads getting 4 is optimal. 2 different sets can have different levels of winter traction and leave the car in unbalanced state in slippery conditions leading to spins….

Depending on the year of the civic if it has indirect tpms you are better off getting the 4 continental's so the tire light stays off since it's based off wheel speed sensor reading like the old lesabres and park avenue

The Contis are good tires at a good price considering the wear rating. Outside of that, IMO you never mismatch tires..tacky and cheap. Go with the full set.

Had to replace 1 RT43 (H) due to puncture . Bought 2 new RT43 (H) and placed those on the front and the original 43s' stayed on the rear . They were within 2/32s' so they have remained on the front close to 2 ( or 3 ? ) years and all are now within 1/32s' of one another . Use studded snows from late November to mid to late April that helped extend the life of the RT43 tires .

Forgot to mention the RT43s' start at 10/32s' and the 2 older 43s' were 8>9/32s' . So , the 2 new 43s' on front and the old remained on rear . Kept the 1 for backup .

Last edited:
Back