Repair it or Crush it?

I think i see where the current car owner is coming from. My parents had a 2000 Deville I bought off of them about 6 years ago. After my stepfather passed my mother wanted to sell it. I had been doing the routine maintenance on it and couldn't see it leaving the family. When I checked the value I was amazed it was so low for such a nice car. At about 98k miles it was worth well under $2k.
After getting it, I found out why it was so cheap. Just doing the plugs is a PITA and having the 100k maintenance done would cost more than the car was worth. Simple tasks require dropping the engine.
There are a host of electronic modules that are on the verge of going out. Had one do so that made the car effectively undriveable. Took all the skill I had to diagnose. No longer in stock, got lucky and found one on fleabay. Had the crank position sensor go and the cam position sensor (different times). Not hard to diagnose and repair, but the car seems filled with overcomplexity and an almost German affinity for lack of maintenance provisions. Almost like they designed the car to maximize service department hours and profit.
Ended up giving the car to my daughter. It should last until she finishes school. No longer a long distance cruiser she just uses it around town. I still do the repairs but only limited maintenance.

Repaired in fair condition it's maybe a $1k car. Listen to justalubetech. He is spot on.

I still plan to watch a bunch of youtube videos before making a decision.

But here is a picture of the hood damage. Ignore the dust and bird poo that accumulated while sitting in my barn.

It is missing the small filler panel that goes between the grill (also deformed) and the headlight. Radiator and support structure are fully intact.

hood damage.jpg

You really aren’t telling him no if you aren’t comfortable with doing the job.

As always if you fix it, you own it if something else was to happen. I would hope he’s level headed enough not to blame you if something was to go wrong, but who knows.

I still plan to watch a bunch of youtube videos before making a decision.

But here is a picture of the hood damage. Ignore the dust and bird poo that accumulated while sitting in my barn.

It is missing the small filler panel that goes between the grill (also deformed) and the headlight. Radiator and support structure are fully intact.

View attachment 135005
That thing is pimp!

Id be inclined to try to fix this. Particularly since you have a lift, dropping the cradle/engine and trans should be a couple hour job if you have never done it. beats trying to finagle it around stuff.

You've already researched the parts.

Shame about the hood.

Do you want to fix it? Yes-fix it. No- junk it. You will lose money by fixing it. People avoid most Northstar Cadillacs like the plague. The Trans or torque converter will likely go out soon after, they seem to die approaching 200k or less if never serviced. Also it Will leak and burn a lot of oil unless you do a lot of extra work with the motor out. Headgaskets from the top is a waste unless you just want a project to try.

I used to see them for sale - my kind of cars, senior owned and with low miles. Was contemplating a purchase because prices were reasonable, and they looked to be good highway cruisers.
Did some research on Northstar issues thinking I could put some money into one and still hoping to make a good buy. Decided that after having owned a few reliable and easy to fix 3800's, a Northstar would have been a huge disappointment and major pain in the ****.

Last edited:
Try head gasket sealer. I always offer this to a customer as a 1st time cheap option with blow head gaskets. Believe it or not in a lot of cases it actually worked and those people are still driving. What do you have to lose other than $40 for a bottle and about 30 min time?

A 2001 DeVille is a real nice car. I'd be pulling the heads and going to town.

It might be easier to drop the whole engine out the bottom with the engine cradle though.

Can you imagine if the Deville was fitted with an LS1 from '98 on? More efficient, more maintainable, higher horsepower, and about half the manufacturing cost. No wonder GM went bankrupt.

Back