Repair it or Crush it?

You do know you have to drop the engine and transmission out the bottom before you can pull the heads? The juice ain't worth the squeeze. Clean and polish it up real nice and list on FBMP and CL for $1495 and take the first offer over $700. Get rid of it asap while it's still cold outside before it's likely to overheat.

The head bolts pull the threads out of the aluminum block. It's much more involved than simply putting head gaskets in it. You must put inserts into the aluminum block.

That is after you drop the whole drivetrain out the bottom. While it's on the ground put a blower motor in the car too as it's behind the rear head and the engine has to come out for that too.

You could not give me one of those pos cars

You don't suppose that engine would be a candidate for one of those head gasket fix in a bottle/can do you. It obviously isn't leaking very fast. Know, I know, all snake oil/junk, but for other leaks, bars leaks has certainly worked in many cases. If I didn't think I was up to the job, which I personally wouldn't be, I would give it a try. But then that is just me.
Not with the head bolts pulled out of the block.

You do know you have to drop the engine and transmission out the bottom before you can pull the heads? The juice ain't worth the squeeze. Clean and polish it up real nice and list on FBMP and CL for $1495 and take the first offer over $700. Get rid of it asap while it's still cold outside before it's likely to overheat.

Well that little tidbit about having to drop the engine escalated things quickly. Can't sell it without disclosing the overheating issue.

Well that little tidbit about having to drop the engine escalated things quickly. Can't sell it without disclosing the overheating issue.
I'm assuming it would be a private sale so he wouldn't have to disclose anything other than a title or odometer problem, although it would be decent of him to mention the possibility of an issue, but for $700 people shouldn't expect to be able to get in and daily it.

To address some random comments, in no particular order.

No coolant and oil mixing at this point.

I won’t sell it without disclosure.

I know about the threads pulling and the most reputable fix seems to be the stud kit sold by Northstar Performance. I think the kit is like $800. Which is why I was wondering about doing it for a total of $1200. Because I would need gaskets, fluids, and other misc parts. I’d probably put a water pump in at the same time.

Yep, I know the proper way is to drop the engine and transmission out the bottom. Although there is a long youtube video of a guy doing it from the topside.

Hood damage is pretty minor. I’ll try to get a picture of it tonight. Maybe I could find a used hood that would match the color of the car.

I do like the idea of doing a cylinder bleed down test. Perhaps if it is the front head, I could do it top side without too much hassle and without dropping the drivetrain out the bottom.

I think my next plan of attack is to watch a bunch of youtube videos and browse/post the Caddy forum. That might help me decide.

It kind of seems like you want to fix the car. It may not be to your taste, but maybe you would like to make your neighbor happy who has been good to you. So, I say take on the project. You may end up with a good car that you can drive to keep miles off your "good car". It may be a little more complicated than jobs you have done in the past, but you will gain the experience and make future projects less scary!

Do you enjoy doing this type of work? If no, then pass.

I do most of the work on my cars, but I don't really enjoy it. I do it because if I take it to someone they charge thousands and I want to retire sooner rather than later.

You do know you have to drop the engine and transmission out the bottom before you can pull the heads?
Is there no hillbilly redneck work around - like pull the mounts, etc - drop it 8 inches on a jack, then put it back together? Almost the same amount of work but easier that wrestling it completely out yourself?

Those engines are nightmares to work on, and always have head gasket issues and major oil leaks no matter how much they are babied. There's a reason there's not many DeVille's around anymore.

Crush it or put some miracle in a bottle and use it as in-town beater for a while

Back