Rental Review 2022 Chevy Camaro 2.0 Turbo

2022 Chevy Camaro 2.0 Turbo, 8 speed auto. Picked up with 1350 miles on it, put 400 something miles on all told. LAX to Fresno and back, so mostly 75mph but a bunch of stop and go in the LA metro area along with hitting the Grapevine there and back.

This car was **** me red, so I tried to keep my speed to around the speed limit.

Overall fuel economy was 32.5 mpg. Gas cap said premium fuel recommended but being a rental I'm sure it was all 87. I put in 6 gallons of 91 octane at one point but filled it with 87 upon return. California gas prices had the "cheap" gas at around $6-$6.25/gallon.

I've been eyeing finding a hemi Challenger for some time, I just like that car. However, I'm a GM guy and my GM friends all have 6.2 Camaros which they say are fun, and the time I drove one it sure was. But there this one was sitting in the Emerald Exec aisle at National and I'm a sucker for anything with low miles which means good tires and good wipers.

First off, this car is a bear to get in and out of. With the seat all the way back it took me with my old sore back some time to get in and out. Wayyyy more difficult than the easy to get into Challenger. However, once in it the seating was pert near perfect. It couldn't be a daily driver for me, and btw, I'm only 5'9". Same ugly blindspots as the Challenger, I made lane changes carefully as the car had no blind spot warnings, it should almost be mandatory! Also, and not new to anyone, with the seat all the way back it's a two seater. It may be that way with the seat all the way up. I'm not sure how anyone would get back there anyhow,

When I first stepped on the go pedal I had no idea what it was but holy moly, it was quick! It certainly wasn't making V8 noises but it sure felt like one. No turbo lag, revs came up quickly. Another bonus of the 4 was weight distribution. It didn't have the understeer that the V8 has. It just felt very balanced.

Window sticker was in the car, $28k including destination. I think it's a heck of a value. Would I buy one? Probably not, I gotta hear that rumble!

Thanks for that review. (y)
Yeah, they're beautiful for sure and probably worth the money. With all of the engine choices, there is a trim level for everyone. I do like the style of the Camaro(I've owned 2 in the past, '74 & '77) but, I like the style of the current Mustang and the Challenger as well.
I like how the BIG3 MFG's gave them a retro look while being totally modern.

Great mileage for such a large car. I like the Camaro's as well as the Challengers. I do have to agree the SS V8 is the way to go on a Camaro. GM did a great job on the Camaro and they are pretty quick too. It's amazing how much power a 2.0 liter engine has with a turbo.

If I ever get it built, I have an order in for a '23 2ss 6mt. I drove the v6, and it felt quick - like my old 08' G37 S 6mt - but I have never owned a V8 sports car. I fell in love with the low end torque of the small block. The mustang GT engine had more thrilling top end, but the rest of the car felt like a numb sedan. I have never driven the 2.0t but the torque numbers are higher than the v6 and at much lower RPM. The camaro handles excellently and I came out of a 2019 miata. Sure, its much heavier but the seating position is actually pretty similar. If I cant get the camaro built im going to look at a toyota 86, type r or even maybe an Elantra N.

No way i would put up with the entry/egress and visibility of a camaro without the 6.2/6MT combo.

In 2020 I did a hasty review of a rental Camaro on BITOG.

Our reviews came with many like observations:
""Had a late model Camaro out of Springfield, MO Avis last year. Was a very nice car going down the interstate. It was tough to back up safely because of lack of visibility, and was tough getting in and out of.

An awesome car as long as one is going fast and straight. If one has to park it, or get in and out of it..... not so much.""

I drove a 2.0t Camaro a couple of years ago back when my son was selling cars. I thought it was an impressive engine and would make for a fun ride but I am waaaaay too big to get in and out of it regularly. It had the same problem my Cruze does, between my size and age its impossible to maintain my dignity getting in and out.

Reviving an older thread...

I just had a chance to drive a friend's 2022 Camaro in V6/6MT guise, and his has the dual-mode exhaust. When the flaps open under deep throttle, magic happens. The exhaust note is simply extraordinary. The car also drove with a much lighter feel than its curb weight would suggest. GM nailed the Alpha platform. I might pick one up next year before they end production.

Back