Rental Review: 2020 Tacoma TRD 4WD

Yeah-but you can still walk after an 8 hour highway trip w/o back pain-with any of the domestic pickups. And another thing-check KBB-the resale value is crazy on trucks. My 2018 Silverado is worth about $7,000 less than what I paid 2 years ago. Why? Because the same truck new is almost $10,000 more now. Do some division and tell me where you can even lease one for that. You own a reliable truck-not a comfortable one.

It’s plenty comfy for me. And that’s all that matters.

Last edited:
You own a reliable truck-not a comfortable one.

No metric bears this out. The data I’ve seen suggests they are no more reliable than the competition.

A cursory review of online forums suggests numerous common problems With third gen Tacoma’s. 2nd gens had their own issues. Toyota trades on a historical reputation that is Mostly fluff these days. A badge doesn’t make something reliable.

Anyone buying a Tacoma in a road salt state is asking for problems. i guess the good thing is that at least you’ll get a brand new frame in a few years.

Please note: I own a Tacoma. I’m content with it. I also wouldn’t buy a new one to replace it.

I can tell you they are more reliable as I talk to many people and coworkers. If you drive a vehicle in salt you will have problems. What you can do is maintain the vehicle such as using Fluid Film or other methods to prevent corrosion.

Something must be wrong with his truck, then. He should take it to the shop. Because I can't even hear my 2007 with >230K miles at idle. Same exact engine.

Also, not sure what size person you are, but I'm 6'2" and I find it to have plenty of room.

He probably should bring it in. I suspect it's timing chain noise.

I'm about the same height, but consistently lift and my youngest says I'm bigger than a linebacker (275ish, but not as big as a lineman!).
With the floor and seating of the Tacoma, I just don't like the feel and prefer a full size truck.

I do find it interesting it has a problem with maintaining highway speeds. This is the 3.5 right?

My mom has a 4Runner with the 4.0. I realize it’s not the same, but it effortlessly tows decent loads.. no issues with highway speeds at all. But, it has 4.10 gears too. I’ve not driven the 3.5, but the 4.0 certainly doesn’t sound like a box of rocks either.

If someone had a gun to my head, I would pick a Tacoma for sure. Definitely manual and maybe even the 4 cylinder (those are dog-ish btw), but after going through the thread, id consider the Nissan too.

This was TRD 4WD model with the crawl control dial control mounted on the roof. I don’t know if the gearing in this truck is different from a 2WD version but I can tell you this is definitely not a highway vehicle. I was actually a little surprised to get one as a rental tbh.

He probably should bring it in. I suspect it's timing chain noise.

I'm about the same height, but consistently lift and my youngest says I'm bigger than a linebacker (275ish, but not as big as a lineman!).
With the floor and seating of the Tacoma, I just don't like the feel and prefer a full size truck.

Wow, yeah, you’re a lot bigger than me. I‘m a distance runner and weigh 180. I can see how someone your size might find the Tacoma a bit tight.

this is my opinion after a couple of years and over 40k in one,

I will say my 4 runners are better built but I drive the piss out of my 2018 tacoma And spend hours in it every week on longer trips And have 42k+ on it already.

this is my 4th Tacoma (2 -1st gen(one built and wheeled hard) and 1 2nd gen before this one so I knew what I was getting as far as seating and layout. But also performance Factors most people don’t use Such as locker and off-road crawl and traction control. It is nice to run around on stock size tires and if I go off pavement knowing I have Enough capability(With years of off-road driving expirience) to get out of. Ore trouble than I care to get into. This opens up my outdoorsman opportunities and reduces stress.

For comfort The best thing I can say is stay in good shape And have A strong healthy back and hips.
i Have no problem going 4 hours without a break if my bladder is ok with it. but I prefer to break and walk. Ore frequently just out of health and alertness concerns. Like All my tacos I added some wet OKOLE seat covers and that helps with comfort.

I average 20.5 MPG per tank. This truck is finicky about wind. I can get anything from 17.5-23.5 on the highway trips. These are long ball buster trips in Texas with speeds varying from 70-75. The 80 mph areas just count on it dropping to 17.5 mpg. The price for time. Overall my trd pro 4 runner averages 17.5 so the Tacoma is the trip truck. i actually love the Toyota safety sense with the lane departure warning (once you learn to turn it off) the self pacing cruise control, this is a pleasure on the interstate, and the auto dimming high beams have Performed well for me.
mine didn’t come with apple CarPlay and that is probably my biggest complaint as the Toyota system is of little help with navigation. The satellite radio and blue tooth work well

The 2grfks needs you to put your foot into it it has plenty of power but you have to tip your toe into it more since the transmission mapping and throttlr control favors economy. But when you tip into it you get power and better shift points.

i have heard the tear end howl but overtime it has become invisible to me. It is a harmonic issue with the leafspring attachment transmitting harmonics at that speed. it is not a gear issue.

A refined comfortable machine.. no. if I truly wanted that I would look into a used Lexus GS or LS.
I do stick to Toyota and Lexus for 1 reason beyond reliability, quality and off-road performance that can go cross country.
Safety. I am not talking about crash test etc.. I am talking about familiarity with the controls and switches.
driving company trucks from GMC Yukon’s to F150s the difference in switchgear positions and operations is a distraction and a hazard. while in these vehicles it is muscle memory. Those who have driven one make for a while know what I am talking about.
Toyota cruise controls are not at all as sophisticated and seamless as say a BMW. But I know it’s not the wiper And I have never had to replace one.
I just recently replaced The worn OEM tires with some better all terrains and I am still getting a kick out of my latest “new“ truck!

this is my opinion after a couple of years and over 40k in one,

I will say my 4 runners are better built but I drive the piss out of my 2018 tacoma And spend hours in it every week on longer trips And have 42k+ on it already.

this is my 4th Tacoma (2 -1st gen(one built and wheeled hard) and 1 2nd gen before this one so I knew what I was getting as far as seating and layout. But also performance Factors most people don’t use Such as locker and off-road crawl and traction control. It is nice to run around on stock size tires and if I go off pavement knowing I have Enough capability(With years of off-road driving expirience) to get out of. Ore trouble than I care to get into. This opens up my outdoorsman opportunities and reduces stress.

For comfort The best thing I can say is stay in good shape And have A strong healthy back and hips.
i Have no problem going 4 hours without a break if my bladder is ok with it. but I prefer to break and walk. Ore frequently just out of health and alertness concerns. Like All my tacos I added some wet OKOLE seat covers and that helps with comfort.

I average 20.5 MPG per tank. This truck is finicky about wind. I can get anything from 17.5-23.5 on the highway trips. These are long ball buster trips in Texas with speeds varying from 70-75. The 80 mph areas just count on it dropping to 17.5 mpg. The price for time. Overall my trd pro 4 runner averages 17.5 so the Tacoma is the trip truck. i actually love the Toyota safety sense with the lane departure warning (once you learn to turn it off) the self pacing cruise control, this is a pleasure on the interstate, and the auto dimming high beams have Performed well for me.
mine didn’t come with apple CarPlay and that is probably my biggest complaint as the Toyota system is of little help with navigation. The satellite radio and blue tooth work well

The 2grfks needs you to put your foot into it it has plenty of power but you have to tip your toe into it more since the transmission mapping and throttlr control favors economy. But when you tip into it you get power and better shift points.

i have heard the tear end howl but overtime it has become invisible to me. It is a harmonic issue with the leafspring attachment transmitting harmonics at that speed. it is not a gear issue.

A refined comfortable machine.. no. if I truly wanted that I would look into a used Lexus GS or LS.
I do stick to Toyota and Lexus for 1 reason beyond reliability, quality and off-road performance that can go cross country.
Safety. I am not talking about crash test etc.. I am talking about familiarity with the controls and switches.
driving company trucks from GMC Yukon’s to F150s the difference in switchgear positions and operations is a distraction and a hazard. while in these vehicles it is muscle memory. Those who have driven one make for a while know what I am talking about.
Toyota cruise controls are not at all as sophisticated and seamless as say a BMW. But I know it’s not the wiper And I have never had to replace one.
I just recently replaced The worn OEM tires with some better all terrains and I am still getting a kick out of my latest “new“ truck!

100%. It’s very obvious that Toyota designed the truck to be similar in layout to it’s predecessors. Going from a 1st generation Tacoma to the current Tacoma there seems to be a similar feel and layout which is what I think the majority of Tacoma owners appreciate.

The fact of the matter is that the yota pickup is too big to fail. When the american consumer thinks of “not full size pickup” they think of Toyota, period. Their repeat customers are fiercely brand loyal and just won’t consider other medium truck offerings.

Toyota’s grip on the international medium truck market however is really starting to go. The recent Hilux has little to offer other than questionable powertrains, that’ll do build quality and high prices. The Ranger, DMax, Navara, BT50 and even the L200 have all made a name for themselves as better value for money than the current hilux. That’s not even getting started with the Foton, LDV, Great Wall, etc that all offer 4 wheels with a bed and a warranty for much much less.

The fact of the matter is that the yota pickup is too big to fail. When the american consumer thinks of “not full size pickup” they think of Toyota, period. Their repeat customers are fiercely brand loyal and just won’t consider other medium truck offerings.

Toyota’s grip on the international medium truck market however is really starting to go. The recent Hilux has little to offer other than questionable powertrains, that’ll do build quality and high prices. The Ranger, DMax, Navara, BT50 and even the L200 have all made a name for themselves as better value for money than the current hilux. That’s not even getting started with the Foton, LDV, Great Wall, etc that all offer 4 wheels with a bed and a warranty for much much less.

My biggest gripe about the Tacoma is that I can now get a full size that has substantially better gas mileage and more payload capacity. I don't live in an area with tight streets like the northeast though.

My biggest gripe about the Tacoma is that I can now get a full size that has substantially better gas mileage and more payload capacity. I don't live in an area with tight streets like the northeast though.
It's not even tight streets. Everyone tells me I have an oversized garage (I can work on my late model Camry with ease) but my truck simply fills it to the brim if I try to park inside.

The ride quality has pretty much been stated as garbage by all PROFESSIONAL reviewers......A Tacoma owner on here did a cross country trip in one. He lived somewhere in the East and drove to Las Vegas (I believe). Basically-it was determined it's an absolute terrible extended highway cruiser.

Sometimes I think BITOG members should leave vehicle reviews to those who do it for a living.
Yeah like Consumer Reports and anything Japanese for the last 40 years. Pure payola BS.

Tacoma - "Its V-6's lack of low-end torque, combined with the transmission's tall gear ratios, made it hard to be precise. "

Poor quality vehicles, not a real truck. I owned two over the years - didnt keep them over a month due to horrendous engineering and quality issues. You probably have to get a HD truck to get a real truck these days though. Not a "Ca-truck" with completely useless interior for those who work their vehicles. But i will I blame ALL the light/Med duty truck Manufactures for coddling the urban cowboy poseurs.

The taco is Easy to trade though. Like gold on the used car lot. They are easy to sell to suckers for Toyota's "legendary" quality
that only exists in the Legends of old :)
I am going to have my Subaru aligned this afternoon at the local Toyota dealer in Epping; they just got a new rack. It was find but I drove into an "unseeable" ditch in the road at the rear exit of our old HS gym where I went to cast my Vote a couple weeks ago.. Thanks for no Orange Cone, road agent!

Whenever I drive around the back of the sToyota Dealer service area, I see the stack of new frames to replace the old rusted out garbage that Toyota built their "quality" vehicle on.

Made in Baja California, Mexico now too. Oh what a feeling of getting the $%^$!.

If you own one, and its working well for you I say, Good for you !

Last edited:
It should be noted that the OP reviewed a TRD trim. Our gen 1 tundra was a TRD and those get stiffer springs all around and stiffer shocks to match. It will beat you, and Limited leather won’t change that. Non-TRD models are not as difficult to spend long hours in, though on the interstate I never had an issue. I’d wager Toyota treated both trucks the same.

toyota trucks have been known for decades to have a low seat bottom. It’s just what they have always done. I don’t know if some of their cars do as well?

Toyota changed its engine tuning at some point recently, resulting in a revvier motor in the tacos. That’s not gone over well, since trucks really need some power down low. I don’t think it’s hurt sales.

it still surprises me they insist on drum brakes in the rear. i wonder if sequoia units would bolt on?

m

It should be noted that the OP reviewed a TRD trim. Our gen 1 tundra was a TRD and those get stiffer springs all around and stiffer shocks to match. It will beat you, and Limited leather won’t change that. Non-TRD models are not as difficult to spend long hours in, though on the interstate I never had an issue. I’d wager Toyota treated both trucks the same.

toyota trucks have been known for decades to have a low seat bottom. It’s just what they have always done. I don’t know if some of their cars do as well?

Toyota changed its engine tuning at some point recently, resulting in a revvier motor in the tacos. That’s not gone over well, since trucks really need some power down low. I don’t think it’s hurt sales.

it still surprises me they insist on drum brakes in the rear. i wonder if sequoia units would bolt on?

m

Drums in the rear have been great IMO on my Tacoma. They still have braking capability and much longer maintenance intervals. Yes they don't look as fancy but it's a truck at the end of the day, not a Ferrari.

On my previous F150, it had discs in the rear and they CONSTANTLY warped and caused a serious rear end bucking when braking. Due to the axle design, there wasn't enough room to put vented rotors on the rear.. only thin solid ones.. so they just couldn't take the heat.

Drums in the rear have been great IMO on my Tacoma. They still have braking capability and much longer maintenance intervals. Yes they don't look as fancy but it's a truck at the end of the day, not a Ferrari.

On my previous F150, it had discs in the rear and they CONSTANTLY warped and caused a serious rear end bucking when braking. Due to the axle design, there wasn't enough room to put vented rotors on the rear.. only thin solid ones.. so they just couldn't take the heat.
The Ford rear drum brakes I’ve had on past F150 and Rangers are terrible. After cold start they tend to grab and activate rear-ABS with violent pulsating. Also had vibration issues with them at highway speeds after 80k miles or so.

In a recent video, auto manufacturing expert Sandy Munroe indicated that modern drums can be just as good as discs and much cheaper to manufacture. I think I’d still pay extra for the discs though for looks alone.

The Ford rear drum brakes I’ve had on past F150 and Rangers are terrible. After cold start they tend to grab and activate rear-ABS with violent pulsating. Also had vibration issues with them at highway speeds after 80k miles or so.
Based on the description, there's a good chance they had leaking rear axle seal(s) allowing gear oil to contaminate the shoes.

Back