Rental Review: 2020 Tacoma TRD 4WD

Something must be wrong with his truck, then. He should take it to the shop. Because I can't even hear my 2007 with >230K miles at idle. Same exact engine.

Also, not sure what size person you are, but I'm 6'2" and I find it to have plenty of room.

FWIW, your single VVTI 4.0 1GR-FE, is not the same as the '16 3.5 2GR-FKS. The 2GR-FKS has D4S which means port and direct injectors. The direct injectors do make more noise than engines with just port injectors.

The ride quality has pretty much been stated as garbage by all PROFESSIONAL reviewers......A Tacoma owner on here did a cross country trip in one. He lived somewhere in the East and drove to Las Vegas (I believe). Basically-it was determined it's an absolute terrible extended highway cruiser.

Sometimes I think BITOG members should leave vehicle reviews to those who do it for a living.

Yes this was me. The truck managed fine on the highway doing 80-85, fighting elevation climbs through NM and AZ, but the seat is not meant for 8 hours of use. Luckily my back seems to be healed now.

Funny the OP mentioned wavy windshield glass. I noticed this as well when I looked at the newer Tacomas a year or two ago (I have a 2015 which is the prev. gen). Toyota USA REALLY skimps on glass quality for some reason. Their Japanese made vehicles don't have this problem as bad.

I haven’t cared much for the Tacoma over the last few years ever since they started being really bogged down with electronics. I have had to replace a couple push button starts in those because of failure only a few maybe 3 but that’s another reason I don’t like it is for the push button start. I do however like it’s still offered in manual as I prefer manual over automatic. I’ve heard a lot of complaints about the seat height and everything and I agree. I almost drove one through my coworkers box because I couldn’t see out of it lol. But as far as reliability goes I still feel it’s pretty reliable for being new or for being newer now the old ones were better and much much more reliable.

FWIW, your single VVTI 4.0 1GR-FE, is not the same as the '16 3.5 2GR-FKS. The 2GR-FKS has D4S which means port and direct injectors. The direct injectors do make more noise than engines with just port injectors.

My 1GR-FE is pretty loud at idle with the classic Tacoma “tick” and lots of valve train noise. In fact they are pretty famous for being loud for those with functional hearing.

I'm not a truck guy however, I have several buddy's that own Tacoma's(and trucks in general) and they swear by the them & Toyota. And the Taco certainly has its following.

However, I've ridden & driven several of them and the interior is not a place that I like to be. Very uncomfortable. And that was for a short drive/ride. These guys, who indeed love their trucks, have(since they've gotten older) moved into the domestic trucks for the comfort, quiet/smoothness, power/mpg combo and just overall nice-ness. And these guys HAVE NOT found the domestic truck to be unreliable.

Last edited:
All I think of when driving a Tacoma is whether sitting on a phone book would help. Although I haven’t tried that idea as of yet.

I do find it interesting it has a problem with maintaining highway speeds. This is the 3.5 right?

My mom has a 4Runner with the 4.0. I realize it’s not the same, but it effortlessly tows decent loads.. no issues with highway speeds at all. But, it has 4.10 gears too. I’ve not driven the 3.5, but the 4.0 certainly doesn’t sound like a box of rocks either.

If someone had a gun to my head, I would pick a Tacoma for sure. Definitely manual and maybe even the 4 cylinder (those are dog-ish btw), but after going through the thread, id consider the Nissan too.

Actually the Tundra is the best 14 year old new truck you can buy.

Then theres the Sequoia and Landy at 12 years.

The Japanese don't get the full-size SUV segment. They never have. Look at the Koreans right now-they are killing it with the Telluride and Palisades.

I do find it interesting it has a problem with maintaining highway speeds. This is the 3.5 right?

My mom has a 4Runner with the 4.0. I realize it’s not the same, but it effortlessly tows decent loads.. no issues with highway speeds at all. But, it has 4.10 gears too. I’ve not driven the 3.5, but the 4.0 certainly doesn’t sound like a box of rocks either.

If someone had a gun to my head, I would pick a Tacoma for sure. Definitely manual and maybe even the 4 cylinder (those are dog-ish btw), but after going through the thread, id consider the Nissan too.

For whatever odd reason, the 4Runner is a completely different animal than the Tacoma, despite them sharing a lot of components. 4Runners are still made in Japan and are made with slightly more premium interior materials.

If the Tacoma was literally designed as a 4Runner with a bed, then it would have killed in more categories. But nope, Tacoma was engineered from the ground up in Toyota's USA offices.

My 1GR-FE is pretty loud at idle with the classic Tacoma “tick” and lots of valve train noise. In fact they are pretty famous for being loud for those with functional hearing.

That's taken me the longest to get used to. Mine is a noisy SOB and has been since I bought it. It did get slightly better using Valvoline, but it'll always be "noisy."

I

The 4.0 1GR-FE in the second gen Tacoma and current 4Runner feels more torquey down low, and it lends itself better to towing and “feel”.

The 3.5 in the 3rd gen Tacoma is much more rev happy, and combined with a six speed transmission tuned for economy, it has generated a lot of complaints about hunting at highway speeds. Very different drive feels, and coming from 10 years in my 2nd gen I didn’t like the 3rd gen that I test drove.

The real issue with the Tacoma is that toyota has extended their frame rust replacement program to the 2017 model years. We are talking about 24 years and three generations of Tacoma’s with CHRONIC frame rust problems. That is the most unbelievable thing imaginable. It’s also why, even as a tacoma owner, I won’t be buying another Toyota truck until I see a decade or more of zero frame issues. Just crazy.

Right now I think the ranger is the best mid-size truck package. id be interested in the all new Nissan next year too.

Last edited:

Yes, but in comparison the 3.5 with direct injectors is louder, which was my point.

The 4.0 1GR-FE in the second gen Tacoma and current 4Runner feels more torquey down low, and it lends itself better to towing and “feel”.

It should be noted that the 1GR-FE in the 2nd gen Tacoma, and 5th gen 4Runner, have almost nothing in common other than name, and being 4.0 V6 engines. The block, crankshaft, cylinder heads, intake, etc., are all different.

IMO they should have changed the name to differentiate the two. Other than just saying 1GR-FE W/ VVTI, and 1GR-FE W/Dual VVTI.

It cracks me up when some come in here and act like the Tacoma is less than desirable truck. I have two of them and absolutely love both vehicles. They also have a long break in cycle. Most people trade in and out of vehicles so they really don't understand. I keep mine long term and if I needed another one I would buy it again.

Makes them feel better about their VW, Mercedes, GM, Ford, etc. that’s depreciated 50% in two or three years since new.

Makes them feel better about their VW, Mercedes, GM, Ford, etc. that’s depreciated 50% in two or three years since new.

Yeah-but you can still walk after an 8 hour highway trip w/o back pain-with any of the domestic pickups. And another thing-check KBB-the resale value is crazy on trucks. My 2018 Silverado is worth about $7,000 less than what I paid 2 years ago. Why? Because the same truck new is almost $10,000 more now. Do some division and tell me where you can even lease one for that. You own a reliable truck-not a comfortable one.

I am aware of that; I misread his post.

2015 was last year for 1GR-FE/A750 in Tacoma (IMO the best combo).

Wish they’d offered the dual-VVT-i version in the later 2nd-Gen Tacoma

Just an FYI, If it's a 5th gen with stock gearing, it has 3.727 gears.

Back