? Rent a tool to replace (press in, out) bearing..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where can I find a place that will loan me a set of tools to do a wheel bearing job? The wheel hub has to be pressed out of the steering knuckle and then wheel bearing pressed out, then pressed the replacement part has to be in again.

OTC makes a set that will do the job beautifully:
https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6575-Hub-Grappler-Kit/dp/B004ZG69D2

OTC @ Amazon

I can't buy it because it's too expensive for a 1 time job.

I don't believe Autzone or Advance Auto carries such a set..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: andyd
Can you destroy the bearing with a dremel or a chisel?

I can destroy a replacement (transmission) bearing driving it in crooked with a hammer.

That style works if the bearing is not rusted in, in the salt belt that would be rare. I have had some larger ones take a lot of pressure from the press before it broke loose, when it did it was a he!! of a bang.

Originally Posted By: Trav
That style works if the bearing is not rusted in, in the salt belt that would be rare. I have had some larger ones take a lot of pressure from the press before it broke loose, when it did it was a he!! of a bang.

+1
Saturns have a press-in bearing and hub. Its not an easy job if the old bearing is really worn and has gotten hot! I have barely gotten them out with my 12 ton press.

Not sure what car, but if you don't support the new bearing while pressing the hub back it, the new bearing will fail in about 10k miles.

Last edited:
I use the $100 harbor freight 12 ton press and the impact sockets I already own for arbors.

If you want to redneck it you can pound the old bearing out with impacts and a sledge, (you need to be rugged) then put the knuckle on your barbecue while you freeze the bearing. Then it'll tap in, and you can use the old bearing shell as a guide/ arbor.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I use the $100 harbor freight 12 ton press and the impact sockets I already own for arbors.

If you want to redneck it you can pound the old bearing out with impacts and a sledge, (you need to be rugged) then put the knuckle on your barbecue while you freeze the bearing. Then it'll tap in, and you can use the old bearing shell as a guide/ arbor.

Eljefino is correct, i have not heated the knuckle, but i have put the bearing in the bottom of my deep freezer overnight, gets it to about -10 or so, it does seem easier when you do that.

It's a pretty simple job for a machine shop. If the tool is too expensive for you ... as in you never expect to do this again for the rest of your life ... and you don't want to use heat / cooling to help open up the clearances, I'd let the pros have at it. They will be able to handle even difficult (corroded, heated) examples properly.

Thanks so much for the tip. It's a 2007 Corolla, sounds like the machine shop is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back