Renault OHV turbo recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

This is the first time I have posted, although I have been lurking for a few weeks picking up as much info as I can from the search facility.
I am based in the UK and run a 1991 Renault 5 GT Turbo 1397cc pudhrod carbed engine with 11,061 miles on it. It's a french hot hatch...I'm not sure if Renault are imported to the states.
Anyways, It has been recomended that I use only Castrol RS 10w-60 or Mobil motorsport 15w-50.
To my mind these oils are a little too thick, but I have been warned away from anything thinner than a 10w due to oil seeping past the turbo seals. The car has just had a brand new hybrid turbo, so I don't really see how this can be an issue. Plus, due to the low mileage I woould imagine all of the engine seals and gaskets to still all be in excellent shape, despite the age. I have recently purchased some Texaco Havoline 5w-40 fully synth, but agin have been told this will as good as wreck my engine as it is far too thin...Why?
Renault's original recomendation is a 10w-40, can going down to a 5w really be that bad for my engine?
Also, is this Texaco Havoline stuff any good? It was cheap at £10 for 5 litres, but I have managed to convince myself that I got a bargain, not an inferior product.

Thanks
dunno.gif

A 5w-40 or 10w-40 synlube should be excellent for winter use in England ....this is a low mileage engine, so wear isn't an issue.

God save the Queen ...
wink.gif

Tooslick

As I thought, but is the Havoline stuff a true synthetic and will it offer the same level of protection as the Mobil 1?

The cars booked in for session on the rolling road next week, so obviously I want to make sure I've got the best protection possible.

RR set-ups always seem to worry me.
crushedcar.gif

Since Renault recomments a 10W40 i wouldn't hesitate using valvoline durablend 10W40.It's a thick 40 and the euro version uses some PAO , i think it will be ok for the summer. During winter you can use the havoline you bought.

Well at less than 100 C temperature, the oil will be thicker than at operating temperature whether its a 0W-40, 5W-40, or 10W-40. So I really don't know why a 10W is required
dunno.gif
You could do a mixture of 15W-50 and 10W-30 Mobil 1. You would want to go with say 2 quarts of 15W-50 and 1 quart of 10W-30. A used oil analysis would confirm the viscosity that you are using.

cheers.gif

If this is the same Havoline 5W-40 synthetic oil that we have here in the USA than it is ACEA rated A3/B3 and should be fine to use in your Renault 5 GT Turbo. A good alternative if you wanted to use a thicker oil would be to use Mobil 1, Castrol, or Valvoline synthetic 5W-50. Unless you are going to race your car than I don't see any advantage to using 15W-50 or 10W-60 motor oil. You will get significantly better fuel economy using a 5W-40 oil compared to the 15W-50 or 10W-60 motor oils.

Almost any motor oil that is rated ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B3/B4 should be safe to use in your car and not cause any harm. However I would not use a 0W-30 or 5W-30 oil (even with the ACEA A3/B3/B4 ratings) in hot weather in your Renault.

[ November 24, 2003, 05:57 AM: Message edited by: Sin City ]

Thanks for the reply's guys...Some interesting thoughts on a subject that has the so called 'experts' within the GT Turbo fraternity stumped!

The car does perhaps a 1000 miles a year in just about the finest weather we see here in the UK...It never comes out in the rain!

I change the oil and filter every 6 months regardless of mileage, which is very probably overkill, but as the car is essentialy the best of it's kind in existence a bit of pampering can only be a good thing.
Somettimes it's been known to do as little as 220 miles between changes!
freak2.gif

Due to the frequency of my service intervals I am really after an oil that will give me the very best cold start protection combined with excellent high temp protection and performance when I give it some(That includes the odd trackday thrash).

Money is no object and gas MPG is not really a consideration...I just want the best for my baby.

Also Renault list 2 O.E filters the standard size and oversize. Which would I be best to use?

K&N oil filters are still not available in the UK
frown.gif

Thanks in advance gents.

P.S I can get hold of almost any of the american made oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back