Renault/Nissan Interested in Stake in GM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ghosn can't get GM out of those contracts as long as GM still exists as a US company. The only way out if the union doesn't let them out is via a judge allowing it in Chapter 11.

I have heard it discussed that the Ford family would never let Ford file Chapter 11 because they would lose control of the company. The arguement is that the Ford family stock votes at 16:1 (I have heard) vs. other stock and allows a minority ownership by the Ford heirs to leverage their votes considerably. It is thought they they would find some way to take it private before allowing Chapter 11 and definitely not Chpt. 7.

Ford is profitable in every market but the North American market. I just can't see them filing Chapter 11, but who know???

GM is another story entirely!!

quote:

I wouldn't consider anything built by them today that didn't have a VQ engine. Their new I-4 2.5L has been plagued by serious issues, and the larger trucks and SUVs, well.......

I love my Titan. The VK56DE, an offshoot of the Infiniti 4.5 V8, is best truck engine made today, period.

The biggest trouble spots in the Titan have been the rear-ends. Those are made in Columbia, MO by Dana! Oops.

Autoline Detroit had a number of analysts on this AM and all of them had the same conclusion. They think it's a way to get Ghosn on the board and don't see how GM has much to gain from it.

You do have to wonder how GM who makes 9+ million cars a year worldwide can benefit from Renault who makes less than 1/3 as many and is a non-player outside of europe.

You also have to wonder about Ghosn. He's the guy who said Nissan could start up a brand new plant, building a number of brand new models with a brand new workforce and have everything work out just fine. 3 years later things still aren't fine...

quote:

Originally posted by jsharp:
You do have to wonder how GM who makes 9+ million cars a year worldwide can benefit from Renault who makes less than 1/3 as many and is a non-player outside of europe.

That's exactly it, GM has the facilities for world wide production and distribution, Renault does not. Nissan was on the verge of going belly up before Renault and while things aren't perfect for them, they're a **** of a lot better.

quote:

Originally posted by Brons2:
The biggest trouble spots in the Titan have been the rear-ends. Those are made in Columbia, MO by Dana! Oops. [/QB]

Dana like any vendor, builds to the spec the customer wants. If Nissan specs a axel that is underated for the intended application, then that is not Dana's fault. Nissan's cheap fix for that was to use a finned axel cover to cool the oil better.

Hootbro

Im not sure but it seems that most of the failures were caused by a bad batch of spider gears.
Ive been told that they werent heated properly or something like that.
I havent heard of any 06 failures.

yeah I have the finned diff cover now too.

the big problem is, there's nothing between the D44 and the D60, and Nissan didn't have too many other suppliers to turn to.

quote:

Originally posted by Anthony:
Things aent perfect but that plant has come a long way.

No doubt. My point wasn't to slam Nissan but point out that Ghosn in the words of one of the anaylsts I listened to Sunday "has a record of biting off more than he can chew, then choking on it."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back