Removing mold from washing machine door seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
We always leave to door open, so I don't have a clue why we're getting the mold. I don't want to replace the seal unless that's the last resort. I've had people say it's a major pain in the bu** to replace....

Originally Posted by grampi
We always leave to door open, so I don't have a clue why we're getting the mold. I don't want to replace the seal unless that's the last resort. I've had people say it's a major pain in the bu** to replace....

Take the dispenser tray out and look inside. You'll see there is a ton of water that sits there after your finished washing clothes. Mold likes places that are damp / wet. Wipe it down inside and then put the dispenser tray back inside.

49.gif

Take the dispenser tray out and look inside. You'll see there is a ton of water that sits there after your finished washing clothes. Mold likes places that are damp / wet. Wipe it down inside and then put the dispenser tray back inside.

THIS. But I just leave mine out until next washday.

Also the baking soda idea works for me. I put baking soda in the drum and bleach in the dispenser (not vinegar), then run the machine on cleaning cycle with HOT water. You would be surprised at how much suds is created by that mixture, which tells me it's removing old liquid detergent, a possible source of "food" for bacteria growth.
Taking out the dispenser tray also allows for better air circulation throughout the machine. Don't forget, it has to be cleaned too occasionally.

I've heard that Baking soda + Salt is an effective cleaner, but I have no idea why.

As to the seal itself, the early Maytags were notorious for this, they had white rubber seals which were ALL recalled.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by xxch4osxx
Originally Posted by user52165
Another reason to not buy a front load model.

That was my first thought. Never understood the appeal of front loading washers.

Gentler on clothes.
Use less electricity and water.

Our Speed Queen takes 31 minutes to wash.

My neighbors new LG front load with all the bells and whistles takes 90 minutes. She hates it.

She brings her clothes over here while waiting for the LG repair man.
banana2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Leo99

That was my first thought. Never understood the appeal of front loading washers.

Gentler on clothes.
Use less electricity and water.

Our Speed Queen takes 31 minutes to wash.

My neighbors new LG front load with all the bells and whistles takes 90 minutes. She hates it.

She brings her clothes over here while waiting for the LG repair man.
banana2.gif

Our Samsung front loader gets a load of laundry done in 27-minutes.

49.gif

Mine gets used for a couple of loads spread out over 1-2 days every week, and sits idle the other 5-6 days.

I leave the door about halfway open(not just cracked) and the mold smell I use to get from it has gone away completely. I also leave the detergent tray sticking out since-as mentioned-that can hold water.

This particular unit came with the place when I bought it, and I wouldn't have necessarily picked it out but I've been happy with it. The water and electric bills from it are low, which is my main praise.

Also, my condo has a tiny closet that requires the washer and dryer be stacked. The only top loader that would fit is the one of the compact all-in-one units. With a front loader, I can have a full size washer and dryer with a small footprint.

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge

49.gif

I can see your point, but what does this have to do with mold on the door seal?

Originally Posted by RazorsEdge

49.gif

Tips on helping you keep your washer clean and free from mold, take the info or don't it's up to you in the end.

The rubber door seal normally has a drainage passage built in (a hole). Check to see if it's blocked with lint.

The point is, MOLD grows in damp places. The more humidity or moisture you can eliminate from that environment the less opportunity mold will have to grow.

You want to see mold, check out the inside of your A/C unit sometime, especially if you live in Florida. I have an ultraviolet "Lightstick" installed in my A/C "A" coil, love it! Keeps mold and mildew at bay.

Takes up less space in small apartments

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
On a front loader you will greatly reduce this problem if after you empty the washer you leave the door open and let it dry out.

I do this very same practice on our top loader. We always leave it open after use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back