Removing caulk

Saw my caulk at a "used to be" less frequently used bath tub to tile edge cracking, so I removed some of the caulk and found others hardened up. I didn't realize caulk in a tube can expire and applied it, didn't cure right so I tried to remove it, and realized it feels more like putty than caulk.

Searched on the internet and found out that caulk once opened expire in 12 months. The old caulk in the tube was more than 5 years old, the old caulk on the tub / tile edge was 15 years old. I tried to scrape them off using the Arvin plastic scraper from Home Depot and it did ok, but still couldn't scrape some off. I tried using the blade of a box cutter, but wasn't that great at it and still has some left inside the gap.

I heard good review of the GE caulk remover gel, and Goo Be Gone version. The GE one has excellent review but come in a case of 12, the others seem to be not that good reviewed. What do you guys use to remove old caulk? How do you prevent residue of caulk remover from destroying your new caulk, or like other said ate through the bath tub or shower stopper?

Last edited:
Mineral spirits can work sometimes, maybe not as well once cured, but that's not your issue here...

That said, Im not sure you can get real mineral spirits in CA, so that may be an issue...

Mineral spirits can work sometimes, maybe not as well once cured, but that's not your issue here...

That said, Im not sure you can get real mineral spirits in CA, so that may be an issue...
You still can in NorCal. It’s sold as paint thinner or odorless mineral spirits. SoCal’s paint thinner isn’t mineral spirits.

Brake part cleaner might work to remove the uncured caulk. Open windows and turn on bathroom fan for ventilation before, during, and after use.

Should consult an expert.
1647293749319.jpg

Back