Removing bits of torn oil seal

Long time listener, first time caller…
99 Honda Crv 225k mi recently acquired and I’m doing some baseline maintenance.

I decided to do a power steering pump “rebiuld”, basically replacing seals and orings. The oil seal tore and came apart on me and now I can’t get the last pieces out of the seal wall that sits in the slot. Any suggestions appreciated. I was going to try a torch next but not sure that’s a good idea.

Edit: Pictures attached. One of them shows what’s left of the old seal sitting in the slot or channel (not sure of right term). Looks like just a solid black circle. The other picture shows the new seal just placed on top of the old material which needs to be removed so the new can be seated in.

Attachments

• D5ABC30C-FBDA-4B91-9DB7-73C4D644BA4D.jpeg
    D5ABC30C-FBDA-4B91-9DB7-73C4D644BA4D.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 48
  • 1894BBF9-650F-4D5A-86F1-6EDA638C62C7.jpeg
    1894BBF9-650F-4D5A-86F1-6EDA638C62C7.jpeg
    148.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Do you have a picture. I rebuilt the pump on my 02 accord but can’t visualize your issue.

Long time listener, first time caller…
99 Honda Crv 225k mi recently acquired and I’m doing some baseline maintenance.

I decided to do a power steering pump “rebiuld”, basically replacing seals and orings. The oil seal tore and came apart on me and now I can’t get the last pieces out of the seal wall that sits in the slot. Any suggestions appreciated. I was going to try a torch next but not sure that’s a good idea.
Not sure exactly what you’re looking at but maybe a small pick of some kind would do it.

Do you have a picture. I rebuilt the pump on my 02 accord but can’t visualize your issue.
Pics added. I’ve watched a few YouTube videos and that seal just pops out for everyone. The tip of my pick barely gets in and can’t hook anything. It’s pretty firm material. Maybe I could sort chip away at it with pin or needle until I could get under it…

Pics added. I’ve watched a few YouTube videos and that seal just pops out for everyone. The tip of my pick barely gets in and can’t hook anything. It’s pretty firm material. Maybe I could sort chip away at it with pin or needle until I could get under it…

When do people film themselves struggling? Looks like the rubber bonded itself to the aluminum. It happens!

I would put the part in my heated spray cabinet, But.....Maybe boiling the housing in a pot of water would have the same effect?

I think you may need some type of solvent and mechanical action such as a pick or brush and just keep working at it bit by bit.

Maybe use brass bristles
They come with real fine stainless bristles. I've used them on aluminum before without any scratches. I suggest keeping the area wet with WD-40 while using the wire wheel. The metal usually comes out polished.

Are the remains of the seal that is in the pump just torn off soft bits of seal or is the (metal?) backing of the seal OD still in the pump?

1675201299587.png

If you have the pump body stripped of the parts, I would try chemical removal. Something like paint remover (use caution around aluminum). After the remains are softened, you can use a green Scotchbrite pad to remove the rest of it.

Back