remove ATF from dipstick, F150

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many of you have actually pumped ATF out of your transmission on a 01 F150 4R70W transmission? How much did you get out of it? Did it work OK? What type of pump did you use.
Thinking about doing that as I just don't have the time to get underneath it do the pan drop. Trans has about 31K on it, so I'm going to assume that the filter should still be fairly clean. The reason I want to do this is that I've read on other forums that the 4R70W is a beast that likes new fluid, a lot.

Unless there's a reason for doing it relatively soon, than just drain it when you do an engine oil and filter change, that way effort is minimized. As for time, well it may take some time to find out what to use, where to find it if you don't have a stock of misc. supplies and then to pay for them. I had a thought some time ago - "make money by saving money," essentually meaning you do it yourself, or at least much as possible. And like all things, it takes up some free time. In the grand scheme of things, everythings a compromise, circumstantial, and relative.

Off the wall, I have a hand crank pump that's used to fill and draw model engine fuel, which uses multiple rollers that firmly press down on the synthetic tubing, pinching off a moving section. It kind of functions like how one's throat consticts just behind the food item as you swallow. I've used it once to vacuum bleed the brake system on my grandmother's '77 chevette. After putting silicone around the bleeder valve, it worked well.

You'd need to insert a small diameter hose down the dipstick tube to reach the bottom - how long might that be??? I always sense a risk for contamination especially if your tranny doesn't have a filter (in my case a volvo 850 wagon, which now has had a magnefine filter for a year or so now).

If I were you, I'd just as soon drain it via the drain bolt, working with one point of containmination aside from the dipstick, with as little manipulation as possible.

Just my thoughts.

smile.gif

I've been using a MityVac Fluid Evacuator for about 2 years now on my GM cars. I'm a little leery about putting in a drain plug in the tranny pan so went this route. Every year or 15K miles, I siphon out what fluid is in the pan and refill. Every 3 years or 50K miles, I plan on dropping the pan and changing the filter. So far, so good.

Here's the pump I'm talking about: MityVac Fluid Evacuator Plus

Nel, thanks. Mighty is right, 2.3 gallons? Don't want something that big. But that's the right idea.
Kid...there is no drain valve on the F150's. I wish there was and I'd do it that way and save the money from buying a vacuum pump.

Thanks Mola ol' buddy. That's good stuff. That will get me to where I was wanting to go. Those already built systems are pretty expensive.

Schmoe,
Now as a thanks to MolaKule for saving you a bundle on the pump you might want to consider ordering his ATF
grin.gif
. He can make up Mercon V for you. For the next upcoming ATF change in the wife's 2002 Explorer I going to try Mola's brew
wink.gif
. The Explorer also requires Mercon V. I changed it completely at the 30,000 mile mark. But I think I'll do the next complete exchange at the 50,000 mile mark with Mola's brew. Fluid changes are a lot less expensive than tranny rebuilds or replacements
rolleyes.gif

Whimsey

I hear you bro. I have been actually thinking about that. My question on getting ATF out was actually with putting in some of Mola's stuff once I get the old out. I've read so many different ways to get the ATF out, that I think I've narrowed it down to the dipstick suck out method. My F150 is a 01, no torque converter drain plug. So I either pop of one of the cooler lines and let the engine run to pump out the old fluid, which doesn't sit well with me, or just drop the pan and only get 3 to 4 quarts out. That's why I was asking if anybody had done the dipstick method to see how much they can actually get out. I hoping more than 3 quarts. So far, no one has said anything yet.

It's a real bummer Ford stopped having the torque drain plug. I guess the trannies were lasting too long if people changed all the ATF on a regular basis. Can't have that now can we
rolleyes.gif
. After all the ATF is lifetime isn't it. In all honesty it looks like Ford "recommends" an ATF change at 150,000 miles for your tranny
shocked.gif
! I have the Ford dealer do a complete ATF exchange. The labor is $70 if you bring your own ATF. If not it's $110 with them supplying Motorcraft Mercon V. The Explorer doesn't even have a dipstick and needs to have it's computer hooked up to properly change the ATF even with the fluid exchanger
frown.gif
. They're making it more and more difficult to perform maintenance on today's vehicles
thumbsdown.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back