Remote Start Warm Up Engine Wear

I worry more about the blistering heat of summer down here , and getting into a truck that's 130 deg. inside . Then getting blasted by superheated air from the AC vents .

I always remote start my Traverse on cold mornings, just a couple minutes ahead of time to get the oil circulating, heated seats automatically warm up too! *LOL* Never thought I would think that is such a cool feature but love it. Its is true in the summer I could put the AC on full blast before turning off the car in the evening so next morning when I remote start it will turn on but heat doesnt bother me, love it.

Its impossible to steal the car with Chevy remote start, the doors are locked, the shifter and steering is locked and no other functions of the vehicle will work, NONE, including the dashboard until the key is inserted and turned.

The very cold lube (during very cold starts) does not circulate as well, but it's fairly minor relative to the next topic ...
The big issue for many cars/diesels in really cold temps is fuel wash; it's over-fueling of the cylinders to assure combustion during those very cold starts, and the consequence is fuel washing lube off the cyliders, increaseing piston/ring/cylinder wear.

Gone is the mentality of letting a car "warm up for 15 minutes". That's ol' skool thinking.

Here's today's reasonable approach:
- start it up
- let it run through it's "high idle" flair (which lights off the cats; typically 30-90 seconds)
- wait perhaps 15 to 30 seconds after the idle settles to normal
- double check your oil pressure gage or light; make sure the lube system is at least indicating that it has pressure
- drive away in a safe, sane, normal manner
This way, the engine will warm up faster under load than sitting idling in the drive for 15 min.

There is a balance to be struck; drive as soon as you can, without undue stress on the engine.

There you have it.
Dang, I’ve been letting my LS3 warm up for approximately 7-minutes before leaving my place. Yes, the remote start. Been doing this practice for 6 1/2 years. I guess I’ve been doing the wrong thing’. Conversely, on the few times that I needed to leave without warming up, I notice lifter noise. Dam-ned if I do, and dam-ned if I don’t. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I’ve been letting my LS3 warm up for approximately 7-minutes before leaving my place. Yes, the remote start. Been doing this practice for 6 1/2 years.
No, no, no, you most certainly have your time frame way off. No way it has lasted 6-1/2 years if you have been doing this. /s

The very cold lube (during very cold starts) does not circulate as well, but it's fairly minor relative to the next topic ...
The big issue for many cars/diesels in really cold temps is fuel wash; it's over-fueling of the cylinders to assure combustion during those very cold starts, and the consequence is fuel washing lube off the cyliders, increaseing piston/ring/cylinder wear.

Gone is the mentality of letting a car "warm up for 15 minutes". That's ol' skool thinking.

Here's today's reasonable approach:
- start it up
- let it run through it's "high idle" flair (which lights off the cats; typically 30-90 seconds)
- wait perhaps 15 to 30 seconds after the idle settles to normal
- double check your oil pressure gage or light; make sure the lube system is at least indicating that it has pressure
- drive away in a safe, sane, normal manner
This way, the engine will warm up faster under load than sitting idling in the drive for 15 min.

There is a balance to be struck; drive as soon as you can, without undue stress on the engine.

There you have it.
So I should start my truck , wait 30 - 90 seconds . wait ANOTHER 15-30 seconds THEN check oil pressure , THEN it is safe to drive away . Yeah , that ain't happening friend . But you do you . (y)

Reactions: wlk
No, no, no, you most certainly have your time frame way off. No way it has lasted 6-1/2 years if you have been doing this. /s
Thanks for the input and I will stop the practice; live n’ learn. Even so, I definitely have been doing this for 6 1/2 years since I purchased the car with an LS3. I haven’t done an oil analysis yet, so it will be interesting. It currently has 66k+ on the ODO. 🫤

Last edited:
Back