Remote mounting filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planing to remote mount my full flow oil fitler in the next week or so. What size oil line is needed for this. My engine is a mid size 3.0 liter V6 Duratec Ford. I think 1/2" is overkill, maybe even 3/8" is too but not sure? Is 1/4' or 5/16 good enough?
Anyone have any idea how many gallons per minute a typical engine pumps? I have a 0-4 gpm flow meter I was going to put on just to measure it but wasn't sure it would max it out.
Tim

Whats wrong with overkill?? I would use the 1/2 line
dunno.gif

I'm putting it in a location that I have to make some bends with metal tubbing (rubber hose might kink over time or rub through) and large 1/2" line is more difficult to work with than 1/4". So I want to use as small as I can witout causing a pressure drop of more than say...5psi (pulled that spec out of the air).
Thanks,
TIm

1/4" full flow??? Quit kidding yourself.
Use 1/2" hose.
If you want more info, contact permacool, mocal, flexalight, canton, or any other company that sells remote filter or coolers.

If you don't want to bend hose, use 30, 45, 60, and 90 degree fittings and hose couplings.

I'd recommend 1/2", Schultz. You can probably get away with 3/8" without difficulty ....but I'm uncertain of your oil flow potential.

Just pulling numbers out of my behind, I'd think that your engine would max out at about 5 gpm+/-. This would be, naturally, in the upper rpm band.

Just use fittings to eliminate the tighter radius turns ..as undummy suggested. The go fast crowd doesn't like this technique since it will add pressure elevations across them ..but you're not in the volume range to worry about it, imo.

Do you currently have pressure gauges ..and how much span is between your peak cold temp pressure and your typical peak hot pressure? This shows how much built in tolerance there is to intermediate pressure elevations.

Well I just had to know so I hooked up a digital flow meter to my engine and waited for it to come up to temperture and then recorded some flow points at four different RPM's to get a flow curve.
My data was fairly linear and so I was pretty satisfied that the numbers were fairly accurate. Also the guage was calibrated and for use with petrolem products. My quick setup used urethane tubing which was getting kind of soft from the heat so I didn't take the RPM's all that high, also the gauge maxed at 5 gpm. I adjusted and maintained a set RPM by using a set of feeler guages between the idle screw adjustment of the throttle body.
RPM
700 2.16 gpm
1800 2.67 gpm
2500 3.25 gpm
2800 3.58 gpm

Using these numbers and a linear calculation, at 6000 rpm redline the engine should be pumping around 7.9 gallons per minute. I imagine the flow curve isn't exactly linear but the engine is pumping more than I thought it would. I'm going to see if I can get the 1/2" stuff in there. Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back