Remote Hose Clamp Pliers

I need a new remote hose clamp plier and would prefer the ratchet lock. I currently have a Matco Tools HCPR10 (although they seem to be rubbed off whereas the Made in France is still very visible - hmm) which has the ratchet lock. The cable mechanism has failed. There is not a Matco Tools distributor in my area.

Mayhew 28680 is $60 on Amazaon & made in France.
Mayhew 45680 is $40 on Amazon & made in France. It doesn't show up on Mayhew's site any longer though.

What others would be recommended over either of these two models? Prefer not Chinese made. Also prefer something not crazy expensive such as Mac Tools HCPR1 for $146 or Snap-On SHCP1B at $157.

Thank you.

Edit: Wait, can you replace the cable set?

Last edited:
The Mayhew 28680 are identical to my Snap-on SHCP1A set.

I've been less than impressed with them, The Snap-on set I had before were a lot better, Don't remember the part#, But were also made by Mayhew, Unfortunately the end broke & got warrantied out for a SHCP1A.
The cable bunches up a the end after @ 50-60 clamps & becomes useless on smaller heater hose clamps. In fact I'm due for a new whip again.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I need a new remote hose clamp plier and would prefer the ratchet lock. I currently have a Matco Tools HCPR10 (although they seem to be rubbed off whereas the Made in France is still very visible - hmm) which has the ratchet lock. The cable mechanism has failed. There is not a Matco Tools distributor in my area.

Mayhew 28680 is $60 on Amazaon & made in France.
Mayhew 45680 is $40 on Amazon & made in France. It doesn't show up on Mayhew's site any longer though.

What others would be recommended over either of these two models? Prefer not Chinese made. Also prefer something not crazy expensive such as Mac Tools HCPR1 for $146 or Snap-On SHCP1B at $157.

Thank you.

Edit: Wait, can you replace the cable set?
Try the one from Astro, the cable broke on my Mayhew so I bought it because they delivered it the next day. Surprisingly the cable is heavier as is the whole unit, it is strong. Made in Taiwan which is quickly becoming or has become first world for tool manufacturing and generally much better than Chicom.

That's the one I've got and there are certain clamps on my MB that simply cannot be accessed any other way (3/4" of clearance between intercoolers and firewall, with several clamps behind and below the intercooler). I've had it about 5 years and it's held up well. Works well.

I have the Mayhew 28650. They’ve been great for DIY, I’ve used them maybe 10 times, though they met their match when changing hoses on my Ram Diesel, some of the spring clamps were too big to latch on. If there’s a slightly larger size it may be a good idea...

I need to get a better one. I currently have a cheapie "deluxe 7pc set" of various hose clamp pliers and the remote one is flimsy and not very strong.

I purchased a Astro Pneumatic 9409A from Amazon and they now say made in China.

Attachments

• Astro 9409A 011AA.JPG
    Astro 9409A 011AA.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Astro 9409A 006A.JPG
    Astro 9409A 006A.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 38
I purchased a Astro Pneumatic 9409A from Amazon and they now say made in China.
I guess I got lucky getting a Taiwan made piece, scratch another one. I just looked at the reviews....

Question:

Where is this tool made?

Answer:

Mine was made in China. I guess it's a toss of the coin.
By Matt Z. on September 12, 2019
Um
By Joey Soriano on August 30, 2020

Hi Jason. Mine says made in Taiwan and it is very sturdy made.
By Carlos Manuel Alarcon on August 31, 2015

Back