Remote Car Alarm For Classic Car

Hello Friends,

A friend and colleague is contemplating the purchase of a classic Chevy as a hobby "drive on Sundays and nice days" car.

He has asked me to help him search for, select, and install a suitable car alarm for this car. Please keep in mind this is a mid 60's car, with standard points based ignition, no remote power door locks, or windows.

I am seeking advice from all of you on BITOG on what make and model of alarm kit(s) to consider.

He wants to be able to arm the alarm and provide ignition kill features with a remote as the very least of these alarm kit capabilities. He would consider something higher end if it also provided a phone GPS locator app, G sensor capability for parking bumps etc.

Please reply with any recommendations / considerations, and thank you in advance for your replies.

Quick release steering wheel. Can't steal it, if you can't steer it. Put a hidden cutoff on the "ground wire". No ground, no jumping battery to + coil side. Most won't take the time to figure it out. Hidden in-line fuel shut-off. Last, but not least. Smith & Wesson 44 Magnum.

An old trick is to swap the coil wire with one of the plug wires on the cap. At a quick glance, a thief wouldn't notice anything wrong.

Get a good insurance policy, Me & my dad have Hagerty with a declared value on our cars. One of our friends had a 1967 Chevelle SS396 that got totaled in a accident....Hagerty took real good care of him.

It has to be stored/parked in a secured garage, There are mileage restrictions but can be tailored to your needs.

I would think a classic weekend car would have few theft opportunities, typically being in a locked garage and only driven on the weekends to a car show, restaurant or family gathering. It's not like you're going to park it on a city street, at a shopping mall or an airport parking lot for a week. Aftermarket alarms suck.

Didn't they used to make master cutoff switch's with a removable handle.
If it's gonna get stolen pros with those pickups with hidden wheel lifts like the repo guys use will get it. Have good insurance.

Something to make the car crank but not start if someone tries to hotwire it is ideal. That noise attracts a lot more attention than an alarm. When a car alarm goes off most people hope the guy can finish up stealing the car so it will be quiet.

kill switch on the spark side. It’ll crank but not kick. If they really want it, the more brazen will use a two truck.

Between the choke, 6 volt electrics, starter button on the floor, and clutch, I reckon my classic is quite theft-proof…

I had a convertible years ago. I wired a kill switch to the starter beneath the trunk lid. If the ignition was powered while the switch was thrown, the siren inside the car went off. An experienced thief however would simply bypass all of that with an ignition box jumpered under the hood, direct to ballast, battery and starter. a Lo-jack would have a higher chance of getting it back.

Back