Remington?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gun prices were over inflated.
Serious gouging going on by manufacturers and ammo producers. I am glad they got caught holding the bag in this election.
Guns became a commodity and ruined alot of the sport.
Only good Remington's are old Remington's. Remington tried to churn out cheap guns, made cheap in hopes they would just get gobbled up for the low price. I ve seen their bolt action Rifles bind and thier pistols we're a perfect example. Really a monkey could build a 1911. It was a cheap, easy to build disposable war pistol. If the allies would have lost it wouldn't even be wanted. A Makarov is twice the pistol, as is the Luger and P38.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
The biggest problem with the Remington trigger is people adjusting them to reduce trigger pull that don't know what their doing. I would stick with the Model 700. The biggest problem with handling guns the best safety is planted firmly between your ears not on the side of the receiver. 99.999999% of all gun accidents can be prevented by good gun safety.

Well said. It would be sad to see them go under.

That is the exact reason the anti gun people have gone after this issue and Remchester just folded rather than pursue the real issue people tinkering with their triggers number one and two dumb people just not practicing good gun safety. You don't see GM or Ford losing lawsuits because drunks drive their products!

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Serious gouging going on by manufacturers and ammo producers. I am glad they got caught holding the bag in this election.
Guns became a commodity and ruined alot of the sport.
Only good Remington's are old Remington's. Remington tried to churn out cheap guns, made cheap in hopes they would just get gobbled up for the low price. I ve seen their bolt action Rifles bind and thier pistols we're a perfect example. Really a monkey could build a 1911. It was a cheap, easy to build disposable war pistol. If the allies would have lost it wouldn't even be wanted. A Makarov is twice the pistol, as is the Luger and P38.

With a bozo gone.... naturally all gun prices will decline, which is a very good thing.
Companies like Daniel Defense had layoffs this year due to soft sales....aka T____ Slump.

My 27 year police officer older brother mirrors your comments about Remington's decline in quality.

Originally Posted By: billt460

Cerberus has "multi tasked" assembly at many of the companies they purchased with the whole Freedom Group buyout. The first problematic Marlins were coming off DPMS, (Panther Arms), assembly lines. This caused many problems relating to quality that were quickly resolved. Most everything has been ironed out as best it can be with the equipment they are being forced to make do with.

Sounds like most production has been moved to Remington's new state of the art non-union facility in Huntsville, Alabama

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DPMS_Panther_Arms

Remington’s headquarters are now located In Madison, NC and Ruger recently opened a plant next door In Mayodan, NC. My new Ruger LCP has Mayodan, NC on the slide. Hopefully both will make a go of it down south.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman

Are you sure the manufacturers did the gouging? At the Walmart here .22 ammo price stayed pretty much the same all along, you just couldn't ever get it. It all got bought up early every day by the same handful and would show up at 3x the price at the local gun bandit's shop or at the weekly swap meet. Prices on Gallery of Guns stayed pretty constant too, just none to be had. The serious price gouging was by the end seller.

The manufacturers were not the one's who were price gouging. It was the distributors and middle men across the board. If Clinton were President today, Cheaper Than Dirt's prices would be 3 times what they are now. Same with many others. Their warehouses are packed with guns and related merchandise they are now selling for just a few bucks above break even. Many took out loans to purchase product they thought they would be making a killing on. Instead they're choking on it.

In the last 5 years or so, I have purchased 8 firearms from Gallery of Guns, 1 from Murdochs, and 1 straight from a local dealer. I feel I have always had a decent deal from GG. The one from Murdoch's was killer deal. The local dealer was just a tolerable price. None were Remingtons.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
In the last 5 years or so, I have purchased 8 firearms from Gallery of Guns, 1 from Murdochs, and 1 straight from a local dealer. I feel I have always had a decent deal from GG. The one from Murdoch's was killer deal. The local dealer was just a tolerable price. None were Remingtons.

GOG has always been good with their prices. Regardless of the political climate. What has hampered them is availability during the runs on guns. Their inventory is substantial, and today they have many guns in stock... As does most everyone. I remember after the 2008 election they didn't have any AR-15's in stock for months.

My wife walks past Davidson's (GOG) on her lunch break and can see Ruger. Doesn't do me a bit of good.
frown.gif

Both always have job openings.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
My wife walks past Davidson's (GOG) on her lunch break and can see Ruger. Doesn't do me a bit of good.
frown.gif

Both always have job openings.

A supervisor where I used to work had a place in Chino Valley, and rented an apartment here in Phoenix. Right before I retired he quit and took a foreman's position in the machine shop at Ruger / Prescott. I don't know if he's still there.

I heard some wild stories from mold shop owners here in the Valley who met and dealt with Bill Ruger personally, when he was still alive and in charge over there, and at Pine Tree Castings. One guy told me he liked to show up unannounced, and walk through the place, back to front. If he saw anyone B.S'ing or goofing off, he would fire them on the spot. Most of the shop floor lived in fear of him.

All this Remington talk made me go and buy one I really didn't want
eek.gif
. Well not really. I only have one 9mil, a Shield, and have been wanting something else to play with at the range. I've heard good and bad with the R51 since Remington re-released it but thought I'd take a chance. If this thing shoots as good as it looks it might be a winner. If not, it's all metal and will make a good $200 paperweight.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: billt460
Pick up some extra magazines for it just in case it goes out of production.

Will do. There's a real possibility of that as there are no aftermarket mags either.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
All this Remington talk made me go and buy one I really didn't want
eek.gif
. Well not really. I only have one 9mil, a Shield, and have been wanting something else to play with at the range. I've heard good and bad with the R51 since Remington re-released it but thought I'd take a chance. If this thing shoots as good as it looks it might be a winner. If not, it's all metal and will make a good $200 paperweight.
grin2.gif

Even if they got the reliability worked out I am worried about the longevity and durability of the gun. That steel breech block is working against aluminum alloy...and I would expect some major major wear there. I know that was a major issue on the old Walther P1 series and why they eventually put a steel reinforcing stud in the frames of later guns. My early P1 is pretty much worn out in that area (and I know the old Walther aluminum is way softer than modern alloys).

Well the first range trip didn't go so good with the new R51. Although pleasant to shoot, low recoil and very accurate, the trigger has a reset problem. It fails to reset at least once or more with every mag (7 rounds). When it fails, a slight rap on the slide or grip will get it to reset but it's not an OOB condition. I can duplicate the problem with the slide removed and I've thoroughly cleaned and lubed it with no luck.

Maybe it is time for Remington to just hang it up.

Originally Posted By: funflyer
Well the first range trip didn't go so good with the new R51. Although pleasant to shoot, low recoil and very accurate, the trigger has a reset problem. It fails to reset at least once or more with every mag (7 rounds). When it fails, a slight rap on the slide or grip will get it to reset but it's not an OOB condition. I can duplicate the problem with the slide removed and I've thoroughly cleaned and lubed it with no luck.

Maybe it is time for Remington to just hang it up.

Sad that with all the modern tech available to gun makers they cannot replicate the performance of firearms they made almost 80 years ago when they decide to resurrect the operating method. Hopefully big green will take care of it for you when you send it in.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

Sad that with all the modern tech available to gun makers they cannot replicate the performance of firearms they made almost 80 years ago when they decide to resurrect the operating method. Hopefully big green will take care of it for you when you send it in.

Not sure I want to send it to them for repair. It might never come back if they file BR. I'm thinking the sear or hammer is causing the problem or maybe a spring installed incorrectly, but will take it to a local GS for a second opinion.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
I know Remington, et al, has been under the gun
smile.gif
in the last few years. The trigger lawsuit, product recalls, etc. I read a news article yesterday that their sales are way off and bankruptcy might be looming. I was just at Cabela's today and was perusing their used gun rack. It seems as if the prices on thier used Remingtons are WAY less than comparable brands. Used 742 30-06 for $369. Nice older BDL 7MM for $500. A couple of years ago, both would have been close to double that.

Any one have any thoughts?

Interesting follow-up story to my post. That 742 I mentioned above? My wife was with me when I was looking at it. She went back the next day and bought for me for Christmas! They couldn't find the magazine, so they offered her $40 off. She got them down to $100 off. It is a 742, so it was built between 1960 and 1980. It is in very good cosmetic shape(maybe 98%) and seems in good working order. I'll see if I can fire it here in the next couple of weeks. At the same time my wife bought it she ordered a mag from Midway, which came in today. That is how I found out early about Christmas!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back