Reminder for air cooled engines

It is summer time, as I prepare to change the fluid, remember to check your oil and make sure you put in something thicker while it is summer time, I am going tomorrow to go get a quart of 20w50 to use in the briggs mower, which I think lost compression after the experiment of using 5w20 castrol GTX from the intense blue smoke, who knows.

Air cooled engines for the win! :):)

Probably mostly the lower viscosity making it past the piston rings. Burning in the cylinder, you might now have increased compression switching to a higher viscosity oil due to carbon buildup in the head, but might also need a new spark plug(s).

Nah, I'll stick with my 5W-30 SN full synthetic, the same that I've been using year-round for the last 1,100+ smoke-free, choke-free, adjustment-free, and trouble-free hours in the Kawasaki V-twin.

My mower has 5w20 in it. Been running fine, just burns a little, like 1/2 quart a month mowing 2 acres once a week.

It is summer time, as I prepare to change the fluid, remember to check your oil and make sure you put in something thicker while it is summer time, I am going tomorrow to go get a quart of 20w50 to use in the briggs mower, which I think lost compression after the experiment of using 5w20 castrol GTX from the intense blue smoke, who knows.

Think it lost compression? It either did or it didn't . What are missing something here? This is a conundrum.

I’m using 10W-30 CK-4 or SN/SP in anything Honda, and 15W-40 in anything Briggs or Tecumseh.

I do have a bottle of PP Euro dexos2 in the garage for the next small engine oil change.

Off-topic, but I have to ask. I feel it's strangely applicable to the tone of this thread.

xgmad: Why are you running 20W-50 in a 2020 Toyota Camry?

Off-topic, but I have to ask. I feel it's strangely applicable to the tone of this thread.

xgmad: Why are you running 20W-50 in a 2020 Toyota Camry?
It is to prove that thicker oils shall not destroy engine, but protect it longer, I am running it all year round, and it runs great, just as the day my dad bought it from the dealership.

Ive had a bit of success with engine restore in non vvt vct engines. Less burning in old small engines I've tried it in.

Ive had a bit of success with engine restore in non vvt vct engines. Less burning in old small engines I've tried it in.
I might try this, I have nothing to loose, its a walmart push mower with a small briggs engine in it.

I might try this, I have nothing to loose, its a walmart push mower with a small briggs engine in it.
Half ounce should do. Tried it on two old clapped out briggs and they burned less after a while when it had time to work in. Took them both to Mexico on the back of my truck and they're still running okay over there. The one thing I also told the guy maintaining my property to do is go use about 1.5oz per gallon in them. A little bit of upper cylinder lube helps the engine not wear out so bad. I also do that to my new small engines with no ill effects and it should reduce wear by a bit.

Back