Remember the Cibie 35 series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
These were probably the best looking lights of all time. Great performance too. They had a jewel-like quality and appearance. Even the protective lens covers looked sculpted. The Cibie 35's were seen on lots of cars in the 70s and 80s, but now they're all but extinct. You can still find them occasionally on Ebay. Anyone here have a pair on their vehicle?

8fa4_1.jpg

I didnt have those but i had the Cibie Z beam head lights, and I believe they saved my life.

I came very close to running over a black cow in WY in the middle of the night, and just caught a glimpse of it and I barely missed it.

Do you have a pair of those fog lights?

Originally Posted By: duaneb9729
I didnt have those but i had the Cibie Z beam head lights, and I believe they saved my life.

I came very close to running over a black cow in WY in the middle of the night, and just caught a glimpse of it and I barely missed it.

Do you have a pair of those fog lights?

I had a pair of Cibie 35's back in the day. They were driving lights with clear lenses. The ones pictured are driving lights with amber lenses. The amber lenses weren't widely available in the US, but they sure look cool. I'm glad your Cibies came in so handy (to say the least) for you!

I don't know if they were 35's, but I had 2 100watt driving lights on top of the bumper and 2 100watt fog lamps below it. I had the driving lights wired to my high beams. They appeared about 6x9 in size. Identical to those (I have no scale in the image).

This was on my 1979 Rabbit Diesel. I also had the headlamps too. Flicking the high beams would lower the idle.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I don't know if they were 35's, but I had 2 100watt driving lights on top of the bumper and 2 100watt fog lamps below it. I had the driving lights wired to my high beams. They appeared about 6x9 in size. Identical to those (I have no scale in the image).

This was on my 1979 Rabbit Diesel. I also had the headlamps too. Flicking the high beams would lower the idle.

Wow, you had the full deal, and 100 watt bulbs to boot! That was some serious candle power. Automotive lighting was fun back then.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Anybody remember Sev Marchals?

I remember seeing these in the early seventies on European cars.

Ah yes, Marchals were great too! I've always liked the Marchal "cat" logo. To this day, whenever I see a cat's eyes glowing in the dark, I think of SEV Marchal.

16a7_35.JPG

Greetings:
I remember both Marchal and Cibie quite fondly. I think they are both owned by Valero now, a big French conglomerate auto parts firm. I heard that Cibie products were / are made and sold in Brazil, but the owners don't want them exported to US. This includes the Cibie Oscars - really big, really good. Also, Classic Garage sell an Indian clone of z-beams, etc. cheaply, also an odd 70/75w H-4 bulb, just brighter enough to be interesting without melting wires. I wish the Indians sold clones of the Cibie 40.Daniel Stern Lighting sells original Cibie, excellent units but soooo expensive! and don't fit many products.

Yes, Marchal and Cibie are both currently part of the Valeo Group. The main problem is that Valeo doesn't seem to care much about the after-market, particularly in the NA market. Their focus seems more and more oriented toward OEM.

Actually I think you can buy Cibie lighting from

Talbotco.com (Talbot & Company)

http://www.talbotco.com

They have even got Marchal listed as one of the brands they offer..

Check it out!

Last edited:
I think Talbot is a hobby company someone set up to get a group price. Their web site has not changed in years, they don't really have good prices, and I suspect they are more of a Lotus? club store. Web sites are cheap if you know what you are doing.

Oh yes, I can relate, duaneb9729. Back in the early 80's, my daily driver while employed at the VW dealer was a '66 VW Squareback. Started "jazzing" it up a bit with niceties such as Koni's, 914 steel wheels, Pirelli CN36's, Hurst shifter, and a sweet pair of Cibie' Z-beams. Wow, what an improvement, as this lamps main focus was its low beam characteristics and after a re-wire job from the fuse box forward, I had about 4 lanes of white light, even on the freeways of Los Angeles. Then when I went for a ride up on the Palos Verdes peninsula where street lighting was nil, I most definetely did not have a need for any auxillary lighting. Boy, those were the days. But now, I just bought a pair of the 7" round Cibie's from Daniel Stern Lighting along with a pair of H4+50 bulbs, and a relay kit for my '71 VW bus. Can not wait to install. I have always used some sort of e-code lights but I guess what I want to say is the quality of the Cibie' and Marchal lights were outstanding. Bill

I know this is an old thread, but I recently saw pair of Cibie 35's, just like the ones in the picture I posted. They were on a neat little 240Z. What a refreshing site to see! Yeah, I'm old school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back