Relocating to Charleston SC

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says, my wife and I have been discussing this and we want to make the change. While we're not tied down per say.

We currently live in a suburb right outside of Chicago. We're sick of the weather, cost of living, and insane property taxes.

Charleston seems to have that historic, small city, slower pace of life while residing near a beach is what we're looking for. It's MUCH more affordable and we can own something twice the size and a lower cost to us.

Anyone have any insight?

Are you rich or is there jobs available there? I just looked into atv and dirt bike trails there. Many are privatly owned and they charge you to ride there! They also said to bring insect repellant...lol

Hi--as we are full-time RV travlers/dwellers, we can appreciate your wanting to escape. While Charleston is a great place, may we suggest you try it out first? There are many smaller towns/cities near the ocean in that area that would not be as busy and commercial as Charleston itself. Maybe if you rented there first and explored the area before you make a decision?? Good luck to you!

My first wife was from Hanahan, SC. Hanahan is a suburb of Charleston. She loved Charleston and I visited there with her a couple times. Her mother's family is from Dale and Walterboro, SC which is not too far from Charleston. Her dad was born and raised in Savannah. That whole area is known as the Low Country because of its proximity to sea level. They call Charleston the Holy City because of all the churches there, and they do have some beautiful old churches, St. Michael's and St. Philip's Episcopal Churches are land marks in the historic district. There is a lot of history in Charleston and a lot to see and do there. The pace of life used to be slower and more genteel Southern but I have heard like most other places the crime has gone up in recent years. I have not been there in a long time but I do visit Hilton Head and Savannah as often as I can. You might look at an outlying town or county, if you can afford it Hilton Head is a nice place, so is Beaufort. Just prepare for the weather, it does get very humid in the Low Country in summer and the mosquitoes and sand gnats are bad too. It gets so humid there you have to put grains of rice in your salt shaker to keep it from solidifying. Speaking of salt the food in the Charleston is great. So are the beaches and surrounding islands. I guess you have to watch what you pay for insurance because of the threat of hurricanes. If I could I would love to live up somewhere in the low country. I agree with what others suggested though, maybe rent a while and see how you like it there first.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
Vacation there for a few weeks before making the move

We're going to this summer. There is also alot of opportunity there for us as well which helps with the decision.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Are you rich or is there jobs available there? I just looked into atv and dirt bike trails there. Many are privatly owned and they charge you to ride there! They also said to bring insect repellant...lol

We're by no means rich but we've worked hard for what we have. Work is available there for us....

Charleston's cost of living has continued to increase, because the influx of new residents has, over the past 2+ decades, voted for more and more tax hikes and also fueled a real estate bubble that has yet to really pop. I considered moving there, but ultimately found satisfaction elsewhere.

You will love it in SC. Just practice some new words like ya'll, yup, ummmhmm, comegetyasum.

The heat and humidity are pretty bad in the summer, just stay in the AC unless you are at the beach. Never noticed bug problems during my many trips to SC.

You should consider florida, just look at your bears former head coach, he chose florida
laugh.gif

I moved from Ohio to Charleston about 6 months ago. Its nice and the people are wonderful.
Please don't drive like you are from Chicago here.

Used to live in the Charlotte area, so Charleston was about 3 hours down the interstate. It was our favorite place in the South to visit. The history is awesome. It's beautiful and the weather will be a huge improvement - in winter at least - over the Midwest. Summer will be sticky and you'll have the occasional big storm to deal with. Food is awesome, the port is busy and Folly Beach is great too.

It's a very high-end town. I remember lots of bow ties (not Chevys), BMWs, etc. I know there is somewhat of an elitist attitude in some of the more established folks. There's a 'grandness' that exists there that the gravel road Midwesterner in me recognized but that wasn't a part of my life.

All that said, if I could have moved from Charlotte to Charleston and kept doing what I do for a living, I'd have gone in a second.

Wilmington, NC is a similar, but less hoity-toity place you might consider.

All the best. Update us later if you think of it.

Do you mind me asking what kind of work you and your wife do?

The cost of living here is very reasonable. I live in a comfortable cheap place in West Ashley. There are plenty of expensive places to live should you feel the need.

I haven't experence much of a difference in bugs compared to Ohio with the exception of "palmetto bugs" aka giant freaking cockroaches. Most (all?) apartments will spray 3 or 4 times a year so they shouldn't be an issue.

Weather gets chilly with occasional freezing in the winter and warm and humid in the summer. The big difference will be when the seasons start/end. It was getting close to Christmas when it became "autumn" here.

Originally Posted By: joaks
Do you mind me asking what kind of work you and your wife do?

My wife has her bachelors in marketing and masters in education.

I have a bachelors in education and various certs/security clearance for Dod/Gov jobs.

We both would prefer to stay in education but can do alot with our experiences!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SF0059
Try visiting there during the summer months. Charleston is beautiful but HOT.

We're perfectly fine with the climate. Wear the dogs out quicker!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back