Relocate my Verizon ONT

Verizon had already upgraded my ONT to the new model. I was OK with the ONT being outside and coax attached until I wanted to upgrade beyond 75 Mb and was told for that the router needed to be network cable attached.

Verizon had already upgraded my ONT to the new model. I was OK with the ONT being outside and coax attached until I wanted to upgrade beyond 75 Mb and was told for that the router needed to be network cable attached.
An addendum to your thread Donald. FIOS has wired by neighborhood recently. They did a very neat job running the fiber optic into various vaults located throughout the development. Replaced disturbed sod etc. Once you agree to purchase they send out a contractor to bury and install the connection from the vault to the house. Step three is the final installer to hook things up. Steps one and two were neat as a pin. Step three looks like a bowl of spaghetti hanging off the side of the house. These pictures are my neighbors house. I would like to try FIOS but if this the best they can do, I dunno.

Attachments

• DAE809DE-83A9-41A7-AB0B-4DE6876BC7D6.jpeg
    DAE809DE-83A9-41A7-AB0B-4DE6876BC7D6.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 18
  • BDFE1502-F9D3-43A4-A712-4410F727FCC8.jpeg
    BDFE1502-F9D3-43A4-A712-4410F727FCC8.jpeg
    349.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 149385C4-384F-4656-8F10-512750B97DAE.jpeg
    149385C4-384F-4656-8F10-512750B97DAE.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 18
The orange conduit with black stripes may be the new fiber, which yes it could be neater. Everything else there is cable coax and copper phone lines.

First FIOS is completely worth it. I think a good install starts with the homeowner talking over with the installer exactly what boxes will go where and what wiring needs to be run. Sit out there on a lawn chair watching.

I assume the box you see is the ONT. It's likely the fiber was not run in conduit but rather comes up through the ground near the outdoor enclosure. Verizon is probably not going to run conduit from the underground vault to the home. They will just bury underground fiber 6" underground.

The underground fiber does not directly connect to the ONT rather they use a connector and a short run of single mode fiber with SC/APC SC/APC connectors. That connects to the ONT.

I don't think Verizon will bring the underground fiber inside. Typically in an outdoor box the underground gets connected to the short piece of fiber with SC/APC connectors. The ONT can go in the outdoor box. Power adapter inside and low voltage wire to the ONT.

Many houses don't have CAT6 cable from where the ONT is so some installs use existing COAX from the ONT to a router. That works up to 100 Mbs. If you want a higher speed then you can put a Verizon router near the ONT and use COAX from the router to an extender. Not mesh. More like a second wired access point.

Last edited:
Back