Reloading Dies ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it seems my younger brother has claimed my .44 mag dies so I'm in the market for a new set.

All my dies are RCBS with the exception of a few LEE factory crimp dies. I have a buddy who swears by Hornady dies, does anyone here use them? Should I just stick with RCBS?

I'm satisfied with my Lee three-piece rifle set.

I'm always a bit baffled by the idea of using expensive dies - on a progressive that gives only "good enough" results (as a progressive, by nature, will never be as accurate as a single stage with all the details checked out).

Of course, YMMV.

I really have nothing negative to say about LEE dies in terms quality, their customer service is what turned me away.

I broke a decapping pin once in a LEE and they wanted me to jump through all kinds of hoops and pay for a new one since they only have a 2 year warranty. I have broken a pin in 2 different RCBS dies and not only did they send me a new one free of charge, they sent 3, plus they have a lifetime warranty.

Of all the calibers that I reload for all of them are Lees except one set of RCBS and one set of Redding.

Of the thousands of rounds I load yearly, never a problem with any of them.

I really like the Factory crimp dies for pistols. Works great in the 4 dies turret setup I use.

The best single stage press I've seen (and now have two on the bench) is the Lee Classic Cast. Much better than my RCBS Rock chuckers that I did have.

Take care, Bill

Just about all my dies are Lee except for a few used ones I picked up at gun showes. My experience with Lee's customer service has been great. I had one of their low ball "C" presses break once when sizing 30/06 brass "probably forget to lube that particular case" and sent the main body of the press to them. It was very obvious the press was over 2 years oldbut 3/4 days later here is a new body in the mail no charge no questions asked.

Don't know just how a company can beat that service.

It is hard to go wrong with the RCBS warranty. I have a friend that messed up a .308 Winchester die a couple times because he accidently tried to deprime berdan primed cases. Each time RCBS happily sent him a new die.

Most my dies are RCBS with three exceptions. I have a Lee in .45 Auto Rim, a Hornady in .405 Winchester and a Lyman in 45-90. The Lyman is a very good value. Everyday price for a die that would be special order from RCBS and $$$ to buy. The Lee appears to cheaper in materials compared to the other dies, but is adequate for the task.

All of my reloading stuff is Lee. It's hard to badmouth a good thing, although some do. I think it's snob appeal, if it costs more it must be better.

I have Hornady dies for my .44 mag and love them. Instead of carbide like RCBS uses, the Hornady dies use titanium nitrate. As far as I can tell, they work just as well. Not to long ago, if you purchase a set of Hornady dies, you got a free box of Hornady bullets of your choice. I don't know if that promotion is still going on, but might be worth looking into with the price of reloading components lately.

Like I said before I never had anything against LEE products, just the customer service.

I wonder why they made such a big deal about a decapping pin but sent jcwit a new press body no questions
21.gif

After all the glowing reviews and some online research I think I will give LEE another go, besides I can get the deluxe 4 die kit for less than the RCBS 3 die kit and I would have bought the LEE factory crimp die anyway.

I am going to keep my 2 old Rock Chuckers though Bill
grin2.gif

Thanks for all the input guy's!

All my stuff is Lee, and I get great service from the dealer I buy the stuff from here. Never had to deal with Lee directly as the dealer stocks all parts. I've also never had anything break other then a decapping pin once.

I wonder why they made such a big deal about a decapping pin but sent jcwit a new press body no questions
Have wondered the same thing myself. Maybe it was because I just sent in the broken part with a short note and return address. I did express the fact that it might have been my fault, who known? I did not call ahead tho, just mailed it in.

When I first started reloading I didn't lube the case right and got it jammed big time into an RCBS die. My shooting/reloading buddy who loads match grade ammo couldn't free it. I sent it to RCBS and they replaced the die free of charge. I bought this die used on Ebay. RCBS is a great company to do business with.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Lee stuff, although I only own a few things they they manufacture; a hand priming tool, shell holders for same, measuring dipper set and a Lee Loader.

The Lee Loader is what got me into reloading. This and a plastic mallet.
thumbsup2.gif

When we had our business going all there was for the popular rounds was Dillion dies and equipment. Couldn't complain ablout the RCBS and Hornady stuff either.

Well I got lucky today, I decided to hit a couple pawn shops before I went to the gun shop. I had decided on the 4 die LEE set if I had to buy a new set.

The first one I went to had a 3 die set of RCBS carbide dies with a LEE factory crimp die AND it even had the shell holder, (which I didn't really need since I have a couple floating around here) all for $25 cash out the door!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back