Regane at the beginning or the end of an OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys use fuel system cleaners/treatments at just after an oil change or do you add it in a few hundred miles before an oil change or does it not matter at all?

I always add them near the end of an OCI because of what could potentially be washed down into the oil.

I have always wondered if it is better to add them before a long highway drive or a lot of stop and start driving?

The 3-6% PEA contained in Regane Is not going to cause any "contamination " IMO. The rest of it is just a carrier. Sort of like those who add a 2 cycle oil to their gas at each fillup. Not to worry, use it anytime. FWIW--Oldtommy

Originally Posted By: pbm
I always add them near the end of an OCI because of what could potentially be washed down into the oil.

I have always wondered if it is better to add them before a long highway drive or a lot of stop and start driving?

I do the same, but not for any particular reason.

I'm doing both now with this tank-full of Redline SI-1 - 4 hrs there and back to Boston and the rest of the tank DD to work and back.

I think there might be more of an impact on your engine oil if the fuel additive was truly needed. I mean if you were doing it to try to cure something minor like hesitation. Adding a fuel cleaner as maintenance shouldn't be a major killer on a good running engine.

Now Seafoam or something like that through a vacuum line and tons of smoke is another story. I definitely would do a oil change soon after one of those sorts of cleanings. No matter how good the engine ran prior to the cleaning.

The end. *If* anything gets in the oil, then it will be changed "soon". I don't go nuts about making it that last tank of the OCI or anything like that.

It's another one of those questions like changing before or after storage. If you're planning ahead why not go the safer route just in case?

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
The end. *If* anything gets in the oil, then it will be changed "soon". I don't go nuts about making it that last tank of the OCI or anything like that.

It's another one of those questions like changing before or after storage. If you're planning ahead why not go the safer route just in case?

+1

Regane doesn't seem to affect my UOA results. Other cleaners say specifically to run them just before an oil change. Regane does not.

My usage with UOAs has shown you can run it anytime and be fine.

Originally Posted By: ajchien
Do you guys use fuel system cleaners/treatments at just after an oil change or do you add it in a few hundred miles before an oil change or does it not matter at all?

ajchien,

Just had an oil change on my truck and as far as beginning or end usually it's the tail end for me. Real world conditions doesn't guarantee me in the brginning/before I change oil Besides that, All your adding is additional PEA so if I/you do I'll go buy COSTCO gas for one week and save some money.

Durango

I generally try to do it at the end. If I have any specific symptoms, I do not hesitate to add it at any time but if I doing it "just for the heck of it", I wait until the end.

Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy
The 3-6% PEA contained in Regane Is not going to cause any "contamination " IMO. The rest of it is just a carrier. Sort of like those who add a 2 cycle oil to their gas at each fillup. Not to worry, use it anytime. FWIW--Oldtommy

Remember there are a few different versions of regane and other cleaners like Techron...

The types that have around 35-55% PEA are the only ones worth using...as they have the power to actually clean properly...The basic fuel injector cleaner versions with low % PEA are worthless.

Originally Posted By: Vizzy
Originally Posted By: 2oldtommy

Remember there are a few different versions of regane and other cleaners like Techron...

The types that have around 35-55% PEA are the only ones worth using...as they have the power to actually clean properly...The basic fuel injector cleaner versions with low % PEA are worthless.

+1. The two times I used FI cleaners they did nothing. A full system fuel cleaner (I use Regane) makes a noticeable difference - so long as there is anything there for it to clean (and in mine there's enough to use it every 5k, at least for now).

-Spyder

I hear about alot of people prefer to use a fuel system cleaner/FSC at the end of an OCI because of the fuel dilution into the oil, only being there for one tank of fuel(a week) and not 4 months contaminating the oil. All depends on the driving style I guess.

Out of habit I add Regane to the last tank of gas I but before I change my oil. That's just the way I learned it. With Regane you can add it anytime you like though, and not have any problems.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I hear about alot of people prefer to use a fuel system cleaner/FSC at the end of an OCI because of the fuel dilution into the oil, only being there for one tank of fuel(a week) and not 4 months contaminating the oil. All depends on the driving style I guess.

I only wait if I'm testing the sump. I draw the sample via pump and then add Amsoil PI to the tank. If I wasn't testing, I would just do it any time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back