Refurb Laptop. Which One?

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the "New" Thinkpad and really like it.
Win 10, not so much (at least for now.)
Thanks again for the tip, Rand.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
On the "New" Thinkpad and really like it.
Win 10, not so much (at least for now.)
Thanks again for the tip, Rand.

You're Welcome.

Windows 10 isnt so bad.. you can always back it up(image it)
and put whatever you want on it.
They have w7 drivers for that model if you have a copy of w7 laying around.

Linux also works well, but I've found battery life isnt nearly as good.. and small issues.

w7 in a few more years will be antique sort of like windows xp now.. so not a whole lot of options except to get used to windows 10 if you want to use windows.

I tried mint but it didnt really work well with the dual graphics "cards" in mine.. and battery life was abysmal compared to w7.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Tdbo said:
Linux also works well, but I've found battery life isnt nearly as good.. and small issues.

One thing I did find was Windows 7 was overly optimistic at calculating life on battery compared to Linux.
You really need a model with intel gaphics (and not nvidia/ati) and you should be able to get ball park similar battery life to Windows.

Originally Posted By: itguy08
Dell is the Garbage of the computer world so I'd say stay clear of them. The one I have for work is junk, as was the one before that.

I'd go for the Lenovo:
* 8GB of RAM vs 4 for the Dell
* Better Graphics (nVidia + Intel)
* Probably better screen - the Dell lists no resolution

I believe we have some Latitudes of that vintage at work - they are not good machines.

I got the Lenovo B50 off a fam member. No issues. My CPU is The AMD A6. What does this one have. I got gobs of RAM.

Last edited:
I support 500 dells at work and the business class stuff is very well built.

Recommend a business class machine from dell outlet.

I have been using a $160 refurbished inspiron with 4gb ram and a celeron processor for web surfing for the past few years and it has been flawless.

I need the following spec for a desktop or laptop, what are my options on the refurb or build my own area.

2 Physical cores @ 2.7 GHz Processor (or better
4 Physical cores @ 2.2 GHz processor (or better

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back