Need a Refurbished Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're willing to window shop until you find a match and they offer a good discount coupon code, the Dell business outlet gets you current generation (and one generation old) refurbs with same warranty as new:

http://www.dell.com/us/dfb/p/

These are not units that were used for a three year lease, but rather new units that were returned because the customer decided they did not want it, or it wasn't configured how they now want it, or they set it up and found something amiss.

But even with a coupon, you'll still be hard pressed to find a $250 current generation Latitude. For that price you might have to settle for the off-lease units at the other Dell Refurbished store where 40-50% off coupons are common. These come with a 100 day warranty:

http://dellrefurbished.com/laptops

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
This thing when new was merely adequate....OS is Win7 Home.
....It registers 88-90 processes, cpu usage is fluctuating between 16-100%, and memory is fluctuating from 39-53%. Just shut auto update off and am running disc defrag right now, figuring that can't hurt anything.
Running ESET NOD 32 for antivirus.
No wonder it's so slow with 88-90 processes running. My recent new W7 install runs 48. CPU usage is just a few %. Someone must have said YES to every install option asked to get that many on a LT simply used for email & internet.

I'd suggest backing up your browser bookmarks, email & address book + other personal data, and reloading W7 from scratch. For an excellent guide on how to do this, see Tweakhound.

Restore the Win7 to factory install, run the updates and clean the factory junk that comes with it.

Or go with Linux Mint and see if it's any faster.

The CPU is the bottleneck. We're talking P4 range for performance, and that's too slow even for most people's basic use. The E-300 is too far past its prime for any hardware or software upgrade to have more than a small effect on performance.

I had a netbook with the C-50, predecessor to the E-300, and it was dog slow after about a year, even after doubling the RAM. Win7 reinstalls, 8 or 9 different flavors of Linux, and a Win10 upgrade did no good. SSD upgrade might have helped some, but it wasn't worth it to disassemble the whole thing again. I kept the Win10 upgrade and gave it to my wife's aunt who literally never had a computer before. She doesn't know any better, so it works for her.

A new-to-you system is probably your best bet here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back