reducing handlebar vibes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently instaled a crash kit on my bike that includes handlebar sliders which eliminate the factory wights at the end of the handlebars. I understand the weights are there to reduce handlebar vibrations, correct? I can't tell the difference, but I now wonder if I do get more vibes.

Anyway, I heard that one can reduce handlebar vibrations by filling the handlebars with shotgun shot. Has anyone tryed this? Can you tell the difference? How much did you fill?

thanks for any comments

To change resonance, you can change mass, stiffness, or damping.

Shot changes mass and damping, with a small effect on stiffness.

expandafoam might work (might not), shot might or might not work, cement may or may not.

you could install a bar snake.

I removed the bar end weights and have never noticed any difference. I'd ride it like it is and see if you ever notice vibrations.

Then, if you are not noticing increased 'buzzing' at certain rpm, I'd guess the stock handle-bar weights were purely cosmetic.
I've just changed the weights on my BMW boxer from the factory 8.5 ounces to 18 ouncee, and moved a mild but annoying buzz at 5,000 rpm up to 6,200 rpm. This moved it from my frequent cruising spped of 75 - 80 mph, to well over 90 mph, where I don't go much, so I'm happy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back