Redline SI-1 and blue smoke!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After browsing through pages and pages here I decided to try out a bottle of redline on my car yesterday. I have a 16 gallon fuel tank so I thought it won't hurt to try the full bottle. This morning I started the car and a puff of blue smoke came out along with some funky smells! I've never seen this on my car and I'm either thinking this is the product getting burnt off or what I'm dreading is the idea that I busted a seal somewhere getting oil in the combustion chamber. Anyone seen this before so early on after pouring the stuff in?

Yes i had a similar incident with it although it took a little longer.After about 2 bottles in 2 35 gallon tankfuls i floored it on an on ramp and got a huge cloud accompanied by a #@$%! awful smell,after that the engine idled smooth as glass.It just loosened all the deposits on the intake valves and blew them out the back.keep us informed as to how the engine is running and what differences you notice,it may be helpful to others who are using Sl-1

True,usually oil seeping past the valve stem seals when it appears at cold start.When he said accompanied by funky smell right after using a concentrated dose leads me to think it could have something to do with the additive.If it didn't smoke before there is no way the fuel additive could degrade the valve seals.burning broken away additive soaked deposit built up chunks may give of a blueish grey or black grey tint.I didn't want to sound any alarm bells until the additive has run its course and he is using reg fuel again.If the smoking continues then it may be time to look into seal issues.

I've got my fingers crossed that the smoke will go away once this tank has run through. I drove another 100kms or so today and never noticed any more smoke. I'll see what happens in the morning.

I just finished running a whole bottle through my Expedition. I couldn't tell that it did much of anything, except lighten my wallet.

Only way I could think you could start burning small amounts of oil after SI-1 would be if the product was touching the rings and if they were heavily "gunked" up with carbon and such, and SI-1 cleaned them off quickly, perhaps it is letting trace amounts of oil through to the combustion chamber?

We all have seen the videos of the smoke shows seafoam can make, perhaps it was just burning off major deposits. If you aren't seeing anymore, I woudn't worry. Maybe give your oil a quick sniff is a couple hundred more miles, see if you are suddenly smelling alot more of a fuel odor there.

Quote:

I just finished running a whole bottle through my Expedition. I couldn't tell that it did much of anything, except lighten my wallet.

You like many of us probably keep your car clean to start with so no big difference to be had. However from watching the results of this stuff on 4 and 5 Gas analyzers in school I can promise you is does about as much as good fuel injector cleaners. If you do it to a dirty car you will get much more dramatic results but even cars that were pretty clean you could absolutely see the difference on the gas analyzer.

IT REALLY WORKS!!!

Started the car again this morning and once again some blue smoke. I'm guessing that oil is dripping over night and burning up once I start it up. Driving around all day I didn't see anything again. Any ideas what could be effected by the redline that would possibly start leaking oil?

What you describe is consistent with valve guide wear causing oil to drip into cylinders when left to sit. SI-1 is in the fuel system, not the oil system, and doesn't touch these guides directly. I suppose that the underside of the guides are subjected to some of the gases, but...

I'd suggest letting the SI-1 run it's course and get well into the next tank of gas before declaring something wrong. While it's possible, I'd be surprised if SI-1 was directly responsible for this.

Craig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back