Redline MT-90 in Toyota Xfer case

Just bought a '92 Toyota pickup 4X4, and the manual tranny is real notchy and tough to get into 1st gear sometimes, this is usually an indication that GL-5 has been put in the tranny, as Toyota manual's don't like GL-5 all that much, shifting wise, not talking about the whole sulfur eating at the yellow metals thing, don't want to get into that. Anyway, I am gonna order some Redline MT-90 GL-4 to put in it, but was just wondering if MT-90 is good for a Xfer case also, might as well put the MT-90 in there while I'm under there, but not sure if I should use straight gear oil. I don't think Xfer cases use hypoid gears, so I would assume that a good synthetic GL-4 like MT-90 would be good in there. Any advise? Thanks.

If the transfer case can, then go ahead. But, if the xfer case requires GL5, then you have to use it. I would use a GL5 in a xfer case. Usually they are small gearboxes with small sumps. Every bit of additional protection can only help. GL5 in the transfer and MT90 in the manual is what I would use.

Sorry, cant help with the X case question, but wanted to echo your feelings on MT90 in Toyota MT's. I dropped the factory fill in my 5 speed Scion, refilled w/ MT90 and noticed an improvement. My manual calls for GL5 or GL4, but stick with the 4 if you have a Toyota.

The transfer case has no shifting or synchros, and does not need friction modified GL4 gear lube. I would use a dedicated gear lube in the transfer case.

Originally Posted By: Chero87
Just bought a '92 Toyota pickup 4X4, and the manual tranny is real notchy and tough to get into 1st gear sometimes, this is usually an indication that GL-5 has been put in the tranny, as Toyota manual's don't like GL-5 all that much, shifting wise, not talking about the whole sulfur eating at the yellow metals thing, don't want to get into that. Anyway, I am gonna order some Redline MT-90 GL-4 to put in it, but was just wondering if MT-90 is good for a Xfer case also, might as well put the MT-90 in there while I'm under there, but not sure if I should use straight gear oil. I don't think Xfer cases use hypoid gears, so I would assume that a good synthetic GL-4 like MT-90 would be good in there. Any advise? Thanks.
Jumping in on this thread a little late but I have a 99 4WD Tacoma. The owners manual states to use a GL4 fluid in the manual transmission and the transfer case as well. Mt 90 is a popular choice for the M/T and transfer case on Toyota trucjs.

Originally Posted By: wantin150
Thought MT90 said not good for Xfer cases.
My owners manual calls for a 75w-90w GL4 lube for the manual tranny and transfer case. MT90 fits this description. If you do a search at TacomaTerritory.com, you will find it is a very popular choice for these applications.

Mine is an '08 Tacoma 2.7L 5-speed M/T, 4 wheel drive. I've got the Redline MT-90 in the 5-speed and Mobil-1 75W-90 in the front differential and in the transfer case.

Originally Posted By: SargeBB
Mine is an '08 Tacoma 2.7L 5-speed M/T, 4 wheel drive. I've got the Redline MT-90 in the 5-speed and Mobil-1 75W-90 in the front differential and in the transfer case.
Just curious, does your 08 manual call for a GL4 gear oil in the manual tranny?

Last edited:
 Originally Posted By: klt1986
 Originally Posted By: wantin150
Thought MT90 said not good for Xfer cases.
My owners manual calls for a 75w-90w GL4 lube for the manual tranny and transfer case. MT90 fits this description. If you do a search at TacomaTerritory.com, you will find it is a very popular choice for these applications.
My bad. I was thinking about the rear diff, not the transfer case. Duh!

GL-4 or 5 in the xfercase. For extreme use a GL-5 would be a bit heavier duty. No hypoid gears in there, though, so a GL-4 would be fine. Other brands of T-cases call for ATF which is about a 5W-20 viscosity. So a 75W-90 GL-4 is already a huge step up in protection over a thinner ATF, plus it has EP additives. GL-5 gear oil has at least twice as much EP additive in it than the GL-4.