Redline MT-85 Mitsubishi Pajero/Montero

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think about using Redline mt-85 gl4 gear oil in a 1999 mitsubishi pajero/montero manual transmission?

I have heard that this oil is thin and reddish in colour, while gear oil is usually golden and a bit thicker.....

Thanks for any help.

Welcome to BITOG!

It does appear that MT-85 is the proper viscosity for your manual transmission. Go for it. Red Line makes quality gear oils.

I don't know what color it is, but the viscosity is correct.

It's the oil in your transfer case you need to worry about particularly if you tow. They strip the spline on shaft between g'box and transfer case due to lack of lubrication and too fine a spline. Seen a number over the last nine months and owned two Pajeros (99 NL and 2001 NM). Far to many design faults on a Pajero/Montero/Shogun for my liking.

Thanks for the replies guys

I think I will end up putting it in, it has 150,000 miles on it, I've had it for 50,000 and the manual box oil hasn't been changed.

I put Valvoline 80w90 in the transfer case which is a dual gl4/gl5 spec oil a while ago - should I leave this in there or put in some of the redline instead?

Sprintman: The truck has been relatively trouble free with only a few problems - replaced slave cylinder and a seal in the transfer case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back