Redline MT-85 instead of Tutela Technyx

Hello. I have the GP 1.4 16v with the 6 speed gearbox. Problem is that the synchros for 2nd and 3rd gear are a bit weak and I have trouble engaging over 3000 rpm (especially in cold weather). They are not grinding but I can feel the difference. So I decided to try another gear oil Redline MT-85 after reading about its ability to improve such problems. After 10000 Km I have to say that the gearbox feels better. My problem is that the specs don't exactly much. Redline is a GL4 while Technyx is GL4 plus. And to make matters worse GL4 plus isn't really an official spec. So do you think I should keep using it or do I risk damaging the transaxle? Thanks in advance.

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

If it shifts better with Redline, then you have no problem :)

Like you said, there's no such thing as GL4+ so if Redline is GL4, then it is GL4, and you have nothing to worry about.

Your gearbox is 510 design, 514.6, it's from old times 80w90 GL3 and after GL4/+/5, so not problem. Fiat changed oil specs many times, today is 75w85 GL4 and GL4+ for most C5xx designs, GL5 was discarded.

Thanks for all the info. I couldn't help but worry I might do damage to the gearbox if the oil was wrong.

Back