Redline Mix 6,158 Miles, Sentra 2L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

I'm disappointed with RL
Filter K&N HP-1010

Mixed driving. Oil was in for a bit over 4 months in warmer weather.
50/50 Mix of RL 5W-20 and 10W-30

code:

***=Rince cycle (Schaeffer's)-1100 miles

Oil-10W-30 Schf. Syn Sch.Syn Sch.Supreme RL Mix

Vehcle Milage 22,300 29,070 35,03 39,600***46,858

Miles 5,419 6,770 5,965 4,565 6,156

Fe 22 29 17 12 10

Pb 14 11 10 6 :D 12 :(

Al 8 5 4 3 5

Cu 6 7 8 4 8

Cr 2 1 0 0 1

Moly 5 158 130 107 592

Phos 762 1098 818 926 1280

Zinc 813 1102 884 981 1342

Mg 1507 19 39 15 11

Ca 758 2285 1766 1970 2805

Boron 50 - - -

Silicon 29 12 12 8 11

Solids .2 - - - -

Sulfur - 22% 18% 8 0

Oxi - 26% 30% 7 9

Ni - 16% 16% 11 12

TBN 7.07 (old) - - - -

Vis 9.8 9.82 10.5 9.49 9.81

Season Winter/Sprng Winter Summer Fall/Winter

No fuel dilution, water or coolant present I guess I',m disappointed. I expected the lead values to trend down a bit. So in general the wear metals are just plain higher for this engine. This engine is probably driven way too gently. I probably need to beat th snot out of it a bit more
mad.gif
I will continue using the RL as a 25% mix
Current fill is RL/Mobil DriveClean

I'm confused, it looks better then the first few UOAs when it comes to wear metals, the only one it really was worse on was the one that says "***=Rince cycle (Schaeffer's)-1100 miles"?

Was this an Auto-RX rinse?

-T

I do not see why you are disapointed? It is still trending down over all! THe only one that had signifacantly lower numbers had fewer miles and was a rinse cycle.

quote:

Originally posted by T-Keith:
I'm confused, it looks better then the first few UOAs when it comes to wear metals, the only one it really was worse on was the one that says "***=Rince cycle (Schaeffer's)-1100 miles"?

Was this an Auto-RX rinse?

-T

The rinse cycle was just 1100 miles of Schaeffer's between the last cycle shown and the second-las. No AutoRx. I know the iron has gone down. But I'm disappointed that the lead is still high-even with the RL.

Steel Blue I have used Mobil 1, Schaeffer's Pure Synthetic, Schaeffer's blend. I know have RL/Mobil DriveClean in.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

I'm disappointed with RL

Who isn't.

Al, I'd go with Chevron Supreme or M1.

Hahahahaha..yea. But to be fair..after reading some of Terry's posts, what seems simple may not be.
frown.gif
Anyway, at Patman's suggestion I may try the GC next time. Now if my present brew is a winner-I'll stay with it.

quote:

quote:

I'm disappointed with RL

Who isn't.

Thus proving moly alone does not make an oil.

IMO, this particular report doesn't look all that bad. Pb is a bit high but certainly not off the scales.

Al...why the switch away from Schaeffer Supreme?

quote:

Originally posted by mikep:

quote:

quote:

I'm disappointed with RL

Who isn't.

Thus proving moly alone does not make an oil.

IMO, this particular report doesn't look all that bad. Pb is a bit high but certainly not off the scales.

Al...why the switch away from Schaeffer Supreme?

I have wanted to try the RedLine for a long time. I saw it at Advance Auto and it was sort of an impulse buy.
frown.gif

Why is it that Schaeffers blend always seems to look better than their synth with a similar add pack? Is it that the group 2 is a better additive carrier? Do the adds have a different molecular composition for synth solubility and not work as well as those in the blend? It sure looks like Schaefers blend for protection with LC to keep it working and clean is a great combo.

actually the numbers look good to me, the differences since the last OCI are slight, and iron is trending way down since the earlier OCI's. iron improvement looks great.

I may have missed it but did you run the same viscosity mix with the other oils or just Redline ?. Because if you are comparing a 50/50 mix of Redline to a 100% 10w-30 on the other oils then Redline is actually holding up extremely well. I personally would stick with a 5w-30 or 10w-30 oil on that engine.

BTW I hope to have some additional results of my Redline brew mix in the next few days to see how 100% Mobil1 compares to a Redline/Mobil1 brew.

I think the main reason so many folks, myself included, may seem overly critical of RL is simply due to the excessive cost of the product. Under normal driving conditions (i.e. non-track related) the price/performance ratio just doesn't appear to justify the expense of RL over Mobil1 or some Group III synths or even some synth blends.

JMO.

quote:

Originally posted by goodvibes:
Why is it that Schaeffers blend always seems to look better than their synth with a similar add pack? Is it that the group 2 is a better additive carrier? Do the adds have a different molecular composition for synth solubility and not work as well as those in the blend? It sure looks like Schaefers blend for protection with LC to keep it working and clean is a great combo.

Well-I didn't show theFirst Analysis That was Mobil 1. I think the reason for the Blend to appear better is that the vehicle was still breaking in.

IdrinkmotoroilThe mix was only used in the last analysis. I think you are right. This vehicle needs a thicker oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back