Redline in a twin turbo Supra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 3800 series 2 supercharged engine and let me tell you a Roots s/c engine suffers way more heat than any turbo would, especially when the pulley is changed for more boost.
The air is not compressed in the roots s/c itself, air is pumped into the lower intake where it is compressed. Thats right, compressing the air in the lower intake with no intercooler, NONE. Intake temps are super hot(I can get numbers later). The s/c is mounted to the engine directly so any heat generated will transfer from the block to the s/c making things even worse. Any turbo system is going to be cooled and will have lower intake temps. as for the oil I am running?Mobil 1 (I cannot afford Redline or I would use that.

[ July 09, 2003, 01:33 PM: Message edited by: gundam2000 ]

quote:

Originally posted by mikeinaustin:
since he only has to change his oil once a YEAR, who cares about $8/qt...stay with Redline.

Ditto

Its a TT Supra... Redline would give me the piece of mind that I am taking good care of it.

[ July 09, 2003, 01:52 PM: Message edited by: Intelman34 ]

quote:

OK, OK, I see that there ARE such things as water-cooled turbos. I didn’t mean to imply that I thought the idea impossible, I just had never seen one and haven’t been reading my issues of Road & Track religiously as I used to.

Don't feel bad, Bror--I never knew my WRX's turbo was water-cooled until the time I couldn't find any reference to a turbo cool-down period in the owner's manual. (And I read R&T all the time!
smile.gif
)

Finally, had to call the Subaru 800 hotline and they told me not to worry because . . . there WASN'T any turbo cool-down period!
fruit.gif

The coolant keeps on circulating through the turbo even after you turn off the ignition. So no need for a turbo timer. No boost guage needed either--I guess as long as you change out regularly with a good synthetic, today's turbos are pretty much indestructible.

[ July 09, 2003, 03:15 PM: Message edited by: Rexman ]

A couple of responses to the whole thread.

I think this would be a good job for M1 0w40. It's thick enough hot to give good protect, it's thin enough cold to get up into the turbos quickly. It's synthetic so it should resist coking in the turbos well. And it's $5 a quart over the counter.

This is not to poo-poo Redline. This is a pretty good application for it. I just don't know if it's worth $8 a quart, and having to have it delivered. As far as the issues with the esters being Hydroscopic, getting the car up to operating temperature and keeping there for a while every week or two should take care of that problem.

I have to say something. I was shocked today about the personal attack on Patman and then I had to leave to go to Colorado Springs. I did not get back until a lot later. But I have been thinking about this all day.

I don't know anything abou the guy who likes Delo so much and offhand I can't remember any of his posts. He is entitled to his point of view on things. But the personal attack on Patman today was very disturbing to me.

I have a lot of respect for Bob and Patman. It takes a lot of work to make this web site work and I am sure that maintaining this site means a lot of hours to them. I am sure that they have their own jobs and their own lives to live.

I understand that guys can get very emotional on some things, although I guess I would understand getting emotional over a woman more than getting emotional over motor oil. But that is just me. I don't know what the guy was thinking-maybe he thought what Patman told him was somehow a challenge to his knowledge or talents or something. I don't know.

We are all on the same search. I remember when I was a boy and I was helping my Dad change oil. I looked down at the cans of motor oil and all of the mysterious lettering and numbers, and I became interested-interested enough to even go to the library and study about motor oil. No matter what our differences, we are all searching for that perfect motor oil, that perfect oil filter, that perfect air filter. We disagree on a lot of things, but can we agree to be civil with each other? It is fine to have disagreements and argue about the merits and non merits of various motor oils, etc. We have to debate here to try to find that true perfect oil. But we don't have to pound each other in the pursuit.

Nevermind, I just realized it's in this post. That attack is months old, it didn't just happen last night.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
You think it's bad on a Supra? Try a filter change on a turbo Celica GTS. You have to unbolt all the turbo exhaust housing heat shielding and unbolt the airduct for the alternator. Royal pain in the *** .

Another example of a water cooled turbo. The Celica GTS Turbo (which I believe is AWD) borrows the engine from the Toyota MR2 (my friend has one, a '92) It has a Toyota engine assembled by Yamaha wich is blueprinted and is more stout that the non-turbo version.
Of course, the Turbo on the MR2 is also water cooled; I verified this myself since we swappped the turbo on my friend's car. The turbo gave up after less than 5 miles....a shot turbo bearing was the cause. It sounded like a police siren.
Rick

quote:

Originally posted by Last_Z:

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
You think it's bad on a Supra? Try a filter change on a turbo Celica GTS. You have to unbolt all the turbo exhaust housing heat shielding and unbolt the airduct for the alternator. Royal pain in the *** .

Another example of a water cooled turbo. The Celica GTS Turbo (which I believe is AWD) borrows the engine from the Toyota MR2 (my friend has one, a '92) It has a Toyota engine assembled by Yamaha wich is blueprinted and is more stout that the non-turbo version.
Of course, the Turbo on the MR2 is also water cooled; I verified this myself since we swappped the turbo on my friend's car. The turbo gave up after less than 5 miles....a shot turbo bearing was the cause. It sounded like a police siren.
Rick

The mr2,celica and mkiii supra all used the water cooled toyota ct-26 turbo. The supra had a bigger compressor wheel than the other two. Like everything else from toyota its over engineered and upgraded versions have produced up to 450 rwhp on a 7m-gte supra. mines 14 yrs, 136k old and still supporting 300rwhp daily. Did you add oil into the oil inlet tube of the turbo before connecting it to the block. Sounds like you starved it of oil.

quote:

Did you add oil into the oil inlet tube of the turbo before connecting it to the block.

No we didn't....I'm almost certain this is what caused the failure. Although the engine was cranked a few revs without starting. A very expensive lesson for me and my friend (all said and done ~ $1000). Sometimes you just gotta learn the hard way.
frown.gif

Rick

[ July 12, 2003, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Last_Z ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back