Redline for my 1.8 (5w-30 or 5w-40)

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Well (and I could be wrong) I think conventional base stocks for say a 5W-30 are 4 cSt (@100C). Naturally VI improber is used to thet the 30 wt thickness and probably some pour point depressants as well for the lower end.

A 10W-30 PAO would simply use a 10 cSt oil (@100C)
[/QB]

And that's exactly what i'd like to find out. With the latest and greatest ester/PAO technology, is it possible to make a nearly 'perfect' 10w-30 lube with just a 10cSt@100C base stock?

I did remember someone ('Kule perhaps?) saying that the standard 30wt finished products are made with 4 cSt stocks. Scary how many VIIs must be in that...

ferb!

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
10w/30 redline would be the choice as there probably less vi improvers . Less shear in the important areas.

I repeat for clarification--Dave Granquist of Red Line told me that their ONLY street engineoil with ANY VI improvers is 5W-40, which has about the same proportion of VIIs as dead-dino 5W-30. That means RL's 5W-30, 10W-30, etc., have NO VIIs in them.

quote:

Originally posted by Spooner:
Wow, all very helpful. I think it must be like the Ford vs Chevy debate. Perhaps I can't go wrong with either the 30 or the 40. But two answers were from oil manufacturers recommending the 30... so that does carry a lot of "weight" (no pun intended).
Any final helpful comments on 30 vs 40 redline before we put this post to bed?

Bob
smile.gif

Bob - both are good but 5w-30 has a HT/HS of 3.8, which is higher than M1 0w-40 (3.6). So I would begin with that.

How much boost are you running with the chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back