Redline D4 or D6 in 4T65E

Status
Not open for further replies.

hal

Was reading another thread and this brought up a question I had. I used Redline D4 in a Honda automatic that had problems, and it actually solved the issue of a harsh 2-1 downshift in that transmission when accelerating from like 5mph, as well as solving a weird clunk feel it had when going from 2-3. So I definitely think D4 is good stuff.

As for the 4T65E, have always used the OEM stuff in mine (valvoline dexron 6) or maxlife ATF. But was wondering if anyone has experience using Redline D4 or D6 in this, or similar GM transmission? I'm assuming D6 would be the normal replacement. No problems with it currently but it's at 115k miles and I'd like to make it last as long as possible. I do enjoy driving so I don't always baby it lol. Since generally a quicker shift=less wear, and being that they are both synthetic fluids I believe, which would give the fastest/firmest shift quality out of the two?

I used to own a 2001 Grand Prix GT with this transmission.

I used Mobil 1 ATF for pan drops and filter changes at 30k and 60k. I did a UOA at 90k and it looked good.

I flushed it with Dex VI (GM branded) at 90k after a pan drop and filter change. At 120k I did another pan drop and filter change with Dex VI and installed a shift kit to fix the hard shift issue. At 150k I did another pan drop and filter change, with Valvoline Dex VI. UOA at 180k looked better than the 90k UOA.

Link to UOA

At 180k I did a pan drop and filter change and flushed with Redline D4 hoping to cure what was left of hot weather city driving hard shifts (not real hard, but harder than normal). It made no difference. Shifted the same as with Dex VI.

210k I did another pan drop and filter change with Redline D6. No change.

Sold car at 230k miles, shifting the same as ever. It always shifted perfect except for when doing a lot of hot city driving. I installed a trans cooler at 60k miles as well.

I would use D6 if you want to spend more money on Redline, but I don't think it matters or is much if any better than Dex VI.

2007 model Impala LT. redline's application guide says use D6. might just stick with valvoline dexron-VI since it sounds like it won't make much difference. valvoline makes good stuff anyway. thanks for the info, sounds like every 30k mi pan drop/filter change is really all it needs and I've been doing that anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back