Redline and Engine Seals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had head gasket leak in my 1998 Benz C230 after using Redline. Kept on using it eventhough it leaked but strangely, never ever low on oil. Four years I owned the car and not once that I had to ever top off with any additional oil.

Redline generates soooo much controversy here. I can't wait to put it in the Corolla after my A-Rx rinse phase is finished, another 1k, to see what happens.

My CR-V is in its second OCI with Redline and running beautifully.
cool.gif

You should only slam RL if you haven't used it, and especially if someone else tells you it's bad. I think there are lots of RL users out there, and some problems might not relate directly to using RL. On most cars, the last mechanic to work on your car is always the one thst caused your latest problem. There is no definition of best oil, but RL is a good oil, what ever that is.

Interesting. So far only 2 BITOG members have reported leaks with RL. Very small percentage.

Seems RL is noted for cleaning, then someone throws it in a car with 80K miles on dino, and the UOA shows metals, RL is raked over the coals. Either you want the cleaning or not.

The psychological barrier to using RL was pretty high for me, especially 5W-20. I dare say it might even have surpassed the psych barrier to using Amsoil. After HOURS of reading and filtering out the agenda oriented people, I would use both in a heartbeat.

Well, this is what I'm going to do. I am going to run a DINO rinse (Rotella 5w-40, I know I should use cheaper stuff, but I NEEDED a DINO and I wanted to see how the car would run on 5w-40. Shoot, I could have had 2 gal of Delvac, but hey experimentation has its costs).

After the rinse, I have my RL 10w-40 ready to go.

quote:

Originally posted by simple_gifts:
The psychological barrier to using RL was pretty high for me, especially 5W-20. I dare say it might even have surpassed the psych barrier to using Amsoil. After HOURS of reading and filtering out the agenda oriented people, I would use both in a heartbeat.

These are the only two oils I would use (in 5 or 10W-30 or 5W-40), (GC/BC is non-existant in my area), unless someone could prove to me that Silkolene or Cosworth 5W-40 are superior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back