Redline 75w85 for BMW

This thread seems to have people that know what they are talking about. I think I see a change in BMW's required lubs as I read from beginning to end.

In my case, I have a 2019 Mini Countryman JCW All4 drive. I want to change the front, rear differential oils, as well as the Transfer case.

After reading the info here, I think I may leave the Transfer case alone. But, it appears the Rear Diff may require something odd: BMW HOK oil.

Front differential is perhaps a much-more-standard GL5 75W85.

Am I on the right path? Don't want to screw this up (for what I thought was going to be as simple as looking up the specs...but, I keep finding conflicting info.)

Thanks!

This thread seems to have people that know what they are talking about. I think I see a change in BMW's required lubs as I read from beginning to end.

In my case, I have a 2019 Mini Countryman JCW All4 drive. I want to change the front, rear differential oils, as well as the Transfer case.

After reading the info here, I think I may leave the Transfer case alone. But, it appears the Rear Diff may require something odd: BMW HOK oil.

Front differential is perhaps a much-more-standard GL5 75W85.

Am I on the right path? Don't want to screw this up (for what I thought was going to be as simple as looking up the specs...but, I keep finding conflicting info.)

Thanks!
Go to BMW dealership and just ask for fluids based on VIN.

And perhaps leave the transfer case as is?
I would change it. Every BMW transfer case I've drained the fluid from whether the car had 60k miles or 170k miles the fluid was dark black. They usually only require 1L of fluid. I've never had to reset anything on the scan tool side. The forums seem to have two sides, people who say you have to, and people who say it isn't needed. I've never had an issue with not resetting it, and I know on transmissions it's only recommended after significant work is done, not just a fluid service.

I would change it.
I only have just over 25,000 miles. I'd HOPE the wear wouldn't be enough that a scan tool would be needed to adjust for the hopefully minimal wear thus far...worst case scenario, I have to go ahead a buy a scan tool if it triggers a code that indicates something is amiss. Thanks.

I use to change all my 'transmission-related' fluids at less than 3000 mls.
The very first oil change is the most important. Manufacturing isn't clean.

How did you find that ??
Plugged in my VIN Number on a BMW shop site. That's the fluid it said worked. ECS Tuning also said it's what they find with my VIN Number, too. It is a bit surprising, but, they indicate because it unusual because it's a "Hang-on Clutch" design...whatever that means.

Plugged in my VIN Number on a BMW shop site. That's the fluid it said worked. ECS Tuning also said it's what they find with my VIN Number, too. It is a bit surprising, but, they indicate because it unusual because it's a "Hang-on Clutch" design...whatever that means.
GL 3?

It's a GL-5 70w-80

It's a GL-5 70w-80
I got 2.75 Liters out of the transmission at room temp, and replaced it with BMW's ATF 6 at room temp...the new fluid sure is a lot brighter red than what I drained out! Estimate 1/4 to 1/3 of the total fluid was exchanged. I have 2.25 liters left over, I bought more than I needed. I might drain/fill again in another 25,000 miles. The Rear differential doesn't have a drain plug...I was able to get 375 mL out of it with suction. Replaced it with the BMW spec'd "HOC G3" fluid, a 70w80 GL5 part number 83222413512 as per the dealership, as well as a BMW/Mini website, with a new drain plug. This fluid was a bit dirty, but, not bad. It's apparently not correct to fill until fluid runs out, like differentials I've had in the past. Used a BIG syringe to be very accurate on how much I removed and replaced. Maybe I'll do the transfer case another day. Thanks for your help!

I got 2.75 Liters out of the transmission at room temp, and replaced it with BMW's ATF 6 at room temp...the new fluid sure is a lot brighter red than what I drained out! Estimate 1/4 to 1/3 of the total fluid was exchanged. I have 2.25 liters left over, I bought more than I needed. I might drain/fill again in another 25,000 miles. The Rear differential doesn't have a drain plug...I was able to get 375 mL out of it with suction. Replaced it with the BMW spec'd "HOC G3" fluid, a 70w80 GL5 part number 83222413512 as per the dealership, as well as a BMW/Mini website, with a new drain plug. This fluid was a bit dirty, but, not bad. It's apparently not correct to fill until fluid runs out, like differentials I've had in the past. Used a BIG syringe to be very accurate on how much I removed and replaced. Maybe I'll do the transfer case another day. Thanks for your help!
Are we talking about differential or transmission, or both? I'm confused

Looks like it is BMW HOK 83222413512, a 70W80 GL3 hypoid oil for "hang-on-clutch" types of differentials.

Besides the differentials, Mini's 4WD uses a Haldex clutch which uses a
thin (~6 cSt) Haldex oil. I'd recommend changing it every 25 - 30 kmls.

BorgWarner HALDEX Öl.JPG

Back