Redline 75w85 for BMW

Has anyone used this in a BMW differential? With the OEM fluid being 100 dollars a quart, I am looking for other options. According to Redline, it is good for: BMW G1-G4.

I run regular old Redline 75w90, but my buddy runs Redline 75w85 in both diffs of his tuned F30 335xi with no issues. I've also used the Liqui-Moly 75w90 which was good as well.

i used in my toyota tacoma differentials that call for a 75w85 GL5 works fine, only thing i didnt like about it is the price

Goodness!! What BMW uses a $100/quart differential oil? My old E46 gets Delvac-1 75W-90 and it loves it.

pretty expensive, when you could use a very good 75w90 for 1/2 that price, if you BMW calls for a 75w85 i would pay up for the REDLINE tho
The Redline is WAY cheaper than the BMW fluid at 100 dollars a quart. What do you mean “pay up”?

What vehicle and is this a Spider-gear differential or a Hypoid gear setup?
2013 BMW x3 28i xdrive. I don't know what the gear setup is, but I believe BMW uses hypoid fluid.

FCP Euro says different BMW 75w85s for front and rear diffs. Redline says GL-5 75w90 for both. I'm not sure what year BMW made the change from 75w90 to 2 different 75w85s.

Also, any info about fluids for BMW x-drive systems? Is MT-LV 70W/75W GL-4 Gear Oil something that I could use?

Thanks

2013 BMW x3 28i xdrive. I don't know what the gear setup is, but I believe BMW uses hypoid fluid.

FCP Euro says different BMW 75w85s for front and rear diffs. Redline says GL-5 75w90 for both. I'm not sure what year BMW made the change from 75w90 to 2 different 75w85s.

Also, any info about fluids for BMW x-drive systems? Is MT-LV 70W/75W GL-4 Gear Oil something that I could use?

Thanks
OK, if it is a Hypoid design it needs a GL-5 rated gear lube.

GM and others have been specifying of late a slightly lower viscosity gear lube of 75W85, but it is GL-5 rated.

MT-LV 70W/75W GL-4 Gear Oil is not something that you should use in a differential.

OK, if it is a Hypoid design it needs a GL-5 rated gear lube.

GM and others have been specifying of late a slightly lower viscosity gear lube of 75W85, but it is GL-5 rated.

MT-LV 70W/75W GL-4 Gear Oil is not something that you should use in a differential.
BMW calls for GL5 in the front diff, and GL4 in the rear diff, both 75W85. They made the change from 75W90 GL5 in both front and rear in 2012.

What bad experiences have you had with transfer case fluid?
The car is constantly testing the fluid. If the viscosity is out of spec, it will throw a fault for fluid requiring replacement. When you do change the fluid, you also have to reset the adaptations to tell the car it has new fluid in it, just like coding in a new battery.

What I find annoying is that it only comes in 1L bottles. A fluid change takes 0.6L, so a bottle is too much for one fluid change, and not enough for two. Best advice is to befriend a BMW tech as most of us have 8 or 9 half bottles in our toolboxes because of that.

I just would not want to risk damaging the transfer case when a new replacement is $7k. Could be a very expensive mistake.

Last edited:
The car is constantly testing the fluid. If the viscosity is out of spec, it will throw a fault for fluid requiring replacement. When you do change the fluid, you also have to reset the adaptations to tell the car it has new fluid in it, just like coding in a new battery.
So why wouldn't the Redline work? AFAIK my other BMW has 128k on factory fill for all fluids except coolant and oil.

Back