Redline 5W-30 5,000 miles

Ask Redline, LubroMoly, MPT, or Toyota/Honda/Mazda.... concerning moly...
And, without knowing the type, PPM count doesn't mean excessive.

BTW, most LiquiMoly/LubroMoly products don't have very much moly in them. Redline's white bottle product is "old school" and has high levels of everything in it. On the Japanese OEM's, it's about chasing fuel economy, but they aren't using the Infineum trimer product.

And that graph only concerns THEIR trimer moly... whatever specific product was tested. I would've loved to see them test it at 500 and 1000ppm too. I have no idea what specific product(s) Redline, or the Asian automakers are using for their 400+ ppm moly oils. But, I would wager that Redline, Toyota, Honda, Mazda.... have done their own testing to justify their high moly PPM oil for whatever benefit they were looking for.
Schaeffer's oil 😉 Lots of moly!

What’s relevant is that the aforementioned graph is only relevant to their product- as OK stated - and, also, it doesn’t define excess ( or any point of diminishing returns ). It only proves the efficacy of Mo, even at lower concentrations.

My conclusion from the presentation is that with the trimer product, somewhere around 200-250ppm is likely the point where "value" really starts to fall off as you aren't gaining much. If we look at some of the Mobil 1 products, they are often using lower concentrations, around 80ppm, which seems to bring up the bottom of where the product provides similar levels of benefit than higher doses of conventional dimer. SOPUS is using ~150ppm in some of their oils.

My conclusion from the presentation is that with the trimer product, somewhere around 200-250ppm is likely the point where "value" really starts to fall off as you aren't gaining much. If we look at some of the Mobil 1 products, they are often using lower concentrations, around 80ppm, which seems to bring up the bottom of where the product provides similar levels of benefit than higher doses of conventional dimer. SOPUS is using ~150ppm in some of their oils.
That’s correct, but I see no data nor implied correlation for ppm greater than 200-250 in that paper. Also, XOM is/was recently using 700+ ppm in their TGMO variety.

That’s correct, but I see no data nor implied correlation for ppm greater than 200-250 in that paper. Also, XOM is/was recently using 700+ ppm in their TGMO variety.

TGMO is blended for Toyota, so it would be per Toyota spec, as XOM isn't the only one who blends it, it's an International product, so it would use dimer.

The paper primarily shows that once you hit a certain concentration of trimer, gains, particularly in the Seq-IVA that I posted here, become minimal, as it basically plateaued, and they say as much in the text. I assume this is why we don't see high concentrations of it in XOM and SOPUS products.

TGMO is blended for Toyota, so it would be per Toyota spec, as XOM isn't the only one who blends it, it's an International product, so it would use dimer.

The paper primarily shows that once you hit a certain concentration of trimer, gains, particularly in the Seq-IVA that I posted here, become minimal, as it basically plateaued, and they say as much in the text. I assume this is why we don't see high concentrations of it in XOM and SOPUS products.

Do you happen to know if Castrol is using Trimer Molybdenum additive in their EDGE EP oils (gold bottle)? They have around 80 ppm of Moly in those.

I wonder what kind of Moly Lubegard is selling in their Bio-Tech procust.

Do you happen to know if Castrol is using Trimer Molybdenum additive in their EDGE EP oils (gold bottle)? They have around 80 ppm of Moly in those.

I wonder what kind of Moly Lubegard is selling in their Bio-Tech procust.

Castrol was using Titanium in Edge, so if that product has Titanium, it would explain the lower Moly. I don't know if Infineum is selling it to other blenders or not unfortunately. I expect if they are, it's probably more expensive than dimer, but that may be a wash with the lower treat rate.

I agree with OVERKILL. Overly high moly rates are not needed after a certain point. Akin to doing 3k oci's with a quality synthetic, nothing to be gained.

Trimer is primarily an infineum product, so it's only used by Mobil and SOPUS. Other manufacturers are using dimer, which, if you look at the presentation, you'll see requires higher treat rates.

If memory serves, PP has about 85ppm moly. Is that likely to be trimer?

Back