Redline 5W-30 5,000 miles

Will the extra zddp harm catalytic converters?
Simple answer: NO!

More complex answer: It depends. If your engine is an oil burner, you will have your cat(s) zinc plated, making them ineffective. The burned oil may or may not clog up your cat(s) sooner or later. Either way, ZDDP doesn't clog up cats. It just makes them ineffective.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and says that lowering the ZDDP level In motor oil had more to do with putting old engines out of commission and less with saving the cats. Gasoline catalytic convertors haven't changed much during the past 30 years. However, motor oil has!

Simple answer: NO!

More complex answer: It depends. If your engine is an oil burner, you will have your cat(s) zinc plated, making them ineffective. The burned oil may or may not clog up your cat(s) sooner or later. Either way, ZDDP doesn't clog up cats. It just makes them ineffective.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and says that lowering the ZDDP level In motor oil had more to do with putting old engines out of commission and less with saving the cats. Gasoline catalytic convertors haven't changed much during the past 30 years. However, motor oil has!
Sounds good.. 👍

Redline 75w90 MT-90 is the only fluid I use in my manual transmission. It’s great stuff. No surprise to see their engine oil is excellent as well!

Can’t draw too many conclusions with a mere 5k sample. On the other hand, not a lot to complain about is there?

If you go much longer pony up for TAN. I had a 9k run with a fabulous 4.0 TBN. Turned out TAN was 5.0.

It happens.

Nothing to be gained, something to be lost. Choose the one or the other.
I can understand his logic. The one qt of RL to four qts of qsud would gain the oci more Moly, Zinc and Phosphorous.

Last edited:
I wonder how good to mix say, a quart of that, with 4 quarts of QSUD?
That’s like pouring yourself 1/4 Johnny Walker Blue Label and topping the rest of your glass off with a common scotch. Best keep premium products on their own sometimes.

As long it’s the same viscosity nothing really to add or take away. Base oils will be different I’m sure of as would the amount of additives. But from the VOAs seen here Redline slaps any QS product in terms of ppm for zinc, moly and phosphorus but that’s not to say QS makes poor oils, they make some great OTC oils at a great price. Glad you’re happy with your choice.

Last edited:
Killer add pack. Would really clean an engine.
What's in this oil that would make it clean any better than another brand? Sounds like the ticking may be solved by the moly content. Probably other options to get rid of the tick than by using Redline. Not saying moly's not good but sometimes too much of anything...

I wonder how good to mix say, a quart of that, with 4 quarts of QSUD?
I do it often enough. Redline oil makes a great additive. Add a quart with whatever synth you are using.
What's in this oil that would make it clean any better than another brand? Sounds like the ticking may be solved by the moly content. Probably other options to get rid of the tick than by using Redline. Not saying moly's not good but sometimes too much of anything...
Moly is good. And, we see it in the OE Asian fills and their 16 and 20 grades often enough. Its not too much of anything.

That’s like pouring yourself 1/4 Johnny Walker Blue Label and topping the rest of your glass off with a common scotch. Best keep premium products on their own sometimes.

As long it’s the same viscosity nothing really to add or take away. Base oils will be different I’m sure of as would the amount of additives. But from the VOAs seen here Redline slaps any QS product in terms of ppm for zinc, moly and phosphorus but that’s not to say QS makes poor oils, they make some great OTC oils at a great price. Glad you’re happy with your choice.
Not at all. This is oil and not drink..

And for everyone, quit worrying about catalytic converters. Engines are more expensive.

And for everyone, quit worrying about catalytic converters
1611269897741.png

I do it often enough. Redline oil makes a great additive. Add a quart with whatever synth you are using.

Moly is good. And, we see it in the OE Asian fills and their 16 and 20 grades often enough. Its not too much of anything.

Not at all. This is oil and not drink..

And for everyone, quit worrying about catalytic converters. Engines are more expensive.
Not a fan of oodles of moly is all. What purpose does excess amounts of it serve?

Ask Redline, LubroMoly, MPT, or Toyota/Honda/Mazda.... concerning moly...
And, without knowing the type, PPM count doesn't mean excessive.

And that graph only concerns THEIR trimer moly... whatever specific product was tested. I would've loved to see them test it at 500 and 1000ppm too. I have no idea what specific product(s) Redline, or the Asian automakers are using for their 400+ ppm moly oils. But, I would wager that Redline, Toyota, Honda, Mazda.... have done their own testing to justify their high moly PPM oil for whatever benefit they were looking for.

Moly is like money in the bank. Too much that you can't spend but you don't mind having more! I mean we should ask rich people but I'm sure they'll agree. :alien:

And that graph only concerns THEIR trimer moly... whatever specific product was tested. I would've loved to see them test it at 500 and 1000ppm too. I have no idea what specific product(s) Redline, or the Asian automakers are using for their 400+ ppm moly oils. But, I would wager that Redline, Toyota, Honda, Mazda.... have done their own testing to justify their high moly PPM oil for whatever benefit they were looking for.

Trimer is primarily an infineum product, so it's only used by Mobil and SOPUS. Other manufacturers are using dimer, which, if you look at the presentation, you'll see requires higher treat rates.

Back