Redline 5W-30 5,000 miles

Thanks JJ !👍
RL is a healthy oil for those who need something extra
This oil has solved my issue with the cold start ticking and provided me with great wear protection.
I’m most likely gonna go ahead and do a 10K run on this oil change.

I would think the cold start tick is actually a chain tensioner issue and the heavy Redline 5w30 is just masking it.

That said I did the same with my 5.4, switched to 10w30 and now it's quieter on start up, not that it made a lot of noise before, I just can't hear anything at all when it starts now in the way of mechanical noise.

I don't see it that way at all.

The gaskets tend to blow out on the tensioners and the oil seeps out, letting the chain relax and leading to the slapping at startup. Heavier oil helps the tensioners to not bleed down, which helps the chain and guides live longer.

Eventually I will switch mine out to the cast iron tensioners, those don't have any gaskets to blow out and have a ratcheting mechanism that doesn't allow them to back out as much even in the absence of oil pressure. Just better all the way around.

I don't see it that way at all.

The gaskets tend to blow out on the tensioners and the oil seeps out, letting the chain relax and leading to the slapping at startup. Heavier oil helps the tensioners to not bleed down, which helps the chain and guides live longer.

Eventually I will switch mine out to the cast iron tensioners, those don't have any gaskets to blow out and have a ratcheting mechanism that doesn't allow them to back out as much even in the absence of oil pressure. Just better all the way around.
I don’t see it that way either - look at my signature.
Thanks

I would think the cold start tick is actually a chain tensioner issue and the heavy Redline 5w30 is just masking it.

That said I did the same with my 5.4, switched to 10w30 and now it's quieter on start up, not that it made a lot of noise before, I just can't hear anything at all when it starts now in the way of mechanical noise.
The noise is top end valve train tick not chain tensioner and thickness of the oil is not related to the solution. During the course of trying different oils over the last 48K miles I use Chevron XSP 5W-40 for a 5K oil change and ticking sound stayed the same. Only till I changed over to RL 5W-30 is when the ticking noise has gone away. So I’d it’s the oil and the package in RL that’s cured the issue
Not the thickness of oil

Ok it's different than mine then, mine only ever made noise at startup, and only occasionally at that. But thicker oil has made the startup noise go away altogether. I was running 5w20 previously.

Ok it's different than mine then, mine only ever made noise at startup, and only occasionally at that. But thicker oil has made the startup noise go away altogether. I was running 5w20 previously.
Yeah
Engines are crazy sometimes
I’ve tried QS, RGT, Chevron XSP and now RL
Redline solved my issue
RL cost more, but I’m fine with that 👍

Back