Redline 5W-30 4976 Miles 2009 Nissan 370Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just about to turn 80,000 miles on my 2009 Nissan 370Z with the VQ37VHR engine so I decided on another Blackstone Report. I bought the car new. I have changed the oil myself religiously every 5,000 miles. Every previous change I have used an oversized Mobil 1 110 filter. The last two times I decided to switch to a Fram Ultra XG7317 and leave the filter on through two 5000 mile OCI's. As you can see in the report. the Fram Ultra was up to the task so I will continue to use them and only change filters every other oil change.
I have been using Redline 5W-30 almost exclusively other than changes with Pennzoil Ultra at 39,982 miles and Ultra Euro L (by accident) at the 49,995 mark. The Redline 5W-30 is a good match for this engine and it's a plus that the Fram Ultra is good for two changes.

Blackstone Report 09-11-18_JPG.jpg

Why call it a "mistake" for the Ultra Euro L? It produced numbers as good as the Redline, and probably for 1/3 of the cost? The huge 10x moly count certainly doesn't appear to have positively affected any of the metals? Sure it's your choice... but just wondering what your reasoning is to justify? Just want to understand. Peace!

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Why call it a "mistake" for the Ultra Euro L? It produced numbers as good as the Redline, and probably for 1/3 of the cost? The huge 10x moly count certainly doesn't appear to have positively affected any of the metals? Sure it's your choice... but just wondering what your reasoning is to justify? Just want to understand. Peace!

My QSUD beat those numbers and it was only $19.97 not on sale.

Originally Posted by Garak
It's hard to call the Pennzoil Euro a mistake, since it does actually meet the specifications exactly.

If he put it in there accidently when meaning to put in something else, that would be a mistake.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

You don't have a 370Z though so you can't compare your results to his.
33.gif

When I said that I used the Pennzoil Ultra Euro L by accident, it was because I thought I was ordering the regular Ultra from Amazon. This was before Ultra was discontinued and became Ultra Platinum or whatever it is known as now.
The Euro L formula was designed for diesel engines although the manufacturer's website says it is also for high performance gasoline engines. As seen from the Blackstone Report it was good oil and certainly no adverse results occurred. You can sure see the lack of moly in the Pennzoil compared to Redline. I don't know if that means much, but I will continue to use the Redline. I am only putting about 9000 miles per year on the car so a couple of changes per 12-14 months are not a huge expense.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

"Your" QSUD did not beat those numbers in "his" engine. I like QSUD and have my stepson using it in his van, mainly because: 1. It's a good oil; but mainly: 2. Because it's cheap enough that he'll actually buy it since he's a poor manager of his money.

You missed my point that the OP had tried an oil which appeared just as suitable as the boutique, and he then replied that he was aware of both situations, and chooses to spend his money on Redline still. I can respect that.

Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye
When I said that I used the Pennzoil Ultra Euro L by accident, it was because I thought I was ordering the regular Ultra from Amazon. This was before Ultra was discontinued and became Ultra Platinum or whatever it is known as now.
The Euro L formula was designed for diesel engines although the manufacturer's website says it is also for high performance gasoline engines. As seen from the Blackstone Report it was good oil and certainly no adverse results occurred. You can sure see the lack of moly in the Pennzoil compared to Redline. I don't know if that means much, but I will continue to use the Redline. I am only putting about 9000 miles per year on the car so a couple of changes per 12-14 months are not a huge expense.

Euro L is exactly what the manufacturer recommends for specs for lube. Redline fulfilled its purpose.

10x more moly @79K vs. 49K
shocked2.gif

As mentioned before, metal wears are similar however. Assuming that UOA can measure that accurately!

Do you notice any less or more engine noise with different oils?

Last edited:
I have not noticed any difference in engine noise between the Pennz Ultra Euro L and the Redline. My main reasoning with choosing Redline is that the VQ37 engines run hot and are known to be hard on oil. A spirited mountain drive will quickly raise the oil temp above 260. It seems to be a good match for that engine.

Dwight_Frye, agreeing the POE, high moly, and high HTHS does offer more protection when driving hard.
Smart to use a Fram Ultra, the best all around.
I would choose Pennzoil Ultra SRT 0w40 for this application, with its 270 ppm moly, and that stuff can take a beating too, for less than Redline costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back