barium 1
visc. 71.7 WHY?
flash 400
fuel 0.5
anti 0.0
water 0.0
insol. 0.4
TBN 1.8

engine has used Mobil 1 for first 100,000 miles at 5,000 oci,then Redline at 5-6500 oci for the last 50,000 miles

feedback wanted!

I just love these precious little RL UOA's.
grin.gif
Ok, your wear metals are actually lower then I thought they would be when I first saw the thread. I expected Pb to be about 55ppm, just kidding. I have no idea why the TBN is so low with only 5k miles and the viscosity is so high. More info needed or Terry could maybe tell you.
dunno.gif
Nothing stands out too high or high enough to warrant this poor of a performance from an oil IMO.

I have noticed a trend with recent redline samples thickening up,so much for their ability to stay in grade.tbn is very disappointing,especially if you try to believe their claim of 15-18k drain intervals,heck,i cant even go their city,short trip 7,500 mile recommendation-and i dont drive city or short trip miles!

Redline seems to be a "sensative" oil, meaning it doesn't show well if the conditions aren't perfect. Daily drivers mainly, not racing.

I don't know what to make of the low TBN high viscosity. Did you check for air intake leaks? Was anything added to the oil? Any previous UOA's to go off of?
dunno.gif
cheers.gif

[ December 07, 2004, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

nothing added to the oil,no intake leaks,new OEM air filter at start of oci,one previous sample,thought to be contaminated by poor sample hygene{but also thickened up,and low TBN}

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Redline seems to be a "sensative" oil, meaning it doesn't show well if the conditions aren't perfect. Daily drivers mainly, not racing.

I beg to differ, look at my analysis, http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002100
I know it's only 4K but it was a HARD
grin.gif
4K and still breaking in. Also Alex(Ferrari) posted his Prelude Redline analysis lately too.. track use, good numbers. If anything, I think Redline does better under high revving, racing conditions.
dunno.gif

That said, personally I wouldn't use it in a daily driver with super extended drains.. for that, I'd probably use GC.

Its obvious why the TBN is so low, the Redline is cleaning all the crud left behind by the Mobil 1.
grin.gif
grin.gif
Seriously, I would love to hear the excuse this time why the TBN is so low, why the oil thickened out of grade, etc.. I like redline Gear and Tranny lubes, but outside a race enviroment, I just don't see any reason to spend the extra over Mobil 1 or GC.

quote:

If anything, I think Redline does better under high revving, racing conditions.

I agree with you. That is what I was trying to say. I think RL is a better racing oil then street oil, (refering to their street oils btw). I don't see where this report is good for a $8qt oil.
dunno.gif

Maybe I'm missing something here, but Redline's visc. at 40c is 70. I don't see where this report of 71.7 is anything to be concerned about. Please tell me what I am not understanding about this UOA that is causing concern for anybody.

quote:

Originally posted by thedawk:
Maybe I'm missing something here, but Redline's visc. at 40c is 70. I don't see where this report of 71.7 is anything to be concerned about. Please tell me what I am not understanding about this UOA that is causing concern for anybody.

The measured visc at the specified temp. is elevated. Doesn't usually happen but it's not serious either. Probably add pack oxidation.

All the hot air about the TBN is exactly that. You can safely run the TBN on RL all the way to 0 on the Blackstone scale.

Something about this engine is depleting the add pack more than usual and it's not obvious (to me) what.

That being said, this engine and oil combo may not be optimum. That doesn't mean anything on the basic quality of either. Isn't that half the reason folks here do UOA to find something optimal?
rolleyes.gif

What filter brand and PN?
Oil sump capacity?

Not impressed here. Even though I'm a fan of Redline products, I would think that the Fe/Al/Visc numbers would be lower on this well maintained vehicle.

What's the owners manual recommend? I'd probably give the Redline 5w40 a run.

oil filter & air filter are OEM infiniti,currently refilled with Mobil 1 10w-30, if results are similar or better than these from Redline,well no more Redline for me.

If the wear numbers don't change much with the new oil, use a different oil filter.
If this vehicle is truly tough on oil, an oversized filter(more oil, more filtering, more cooling...) should be considered. If this engine uses the early 3/4" standard non-bypass Nissan oil filter, a bypass valve equipped filter might be a better choice.

Regardless of what the owners manual recommends, if filter testing isn't an option, oil weight testing should be. The Mobil1 0w30, 5w30, 10w30, 0w40 and 5w40 could also be tried. I'm betting that a 0w or 5w oil would reduce cold start wear and possibly improve the UOA numbers. I wonder where Nissan put the filter bypass in the oil circuit on the bypassless filtered engines.

Regarding the low TBN and high viscosity, if Terry's comments regarding RL cleaning engines so well, then I would assume in this case RL sucked up a lot of oxidation from normal use plus that of residuals left behind from previous OCIs, greatly increasin viscosity. That would also take a heavy toll on the TBN.

Does this sound logical or possible?

last z,I dont know what cleaning this batch of Redline oil has to clean,as I have been using it at 5-6000 mile intervals for the last 50,000 miles-and before that I used Mobil 1 at strict 5,000 mile intervals for the first 100,000 miles.as I have always driven this car 22,000-28,000 miles per year-oil changes have averaged 60-90 days apart.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
It's not cleaning anything. That is an excuse too often used.

Why do you say that? With low wear metals, insolubles creeping to the higher range (for the mileage), and an oil heavy in esters I was thinking that some degree of added cleaning may be going on, especially since it's a first RL fill. I'm no RL apologist, and with GC doing such a good job for me, I'm in no hurry to try it. That said, where are you coming from on this?

EKPOLK,re-read my previous posts,this is NOT anywhere near my "first time fill of Redline",as far as insoluables creeping up,after studying many reports here,they seem average at .4,and certainly not out of range to cause this poor TBN retention or viscosity failure to stay in grade-current fill of Mobil 1 10w-30 analysis will tell much for me as to my future use of Redline in this engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back