Red Posole or Pozole Rojo

Status
Not open for further replies.
The discussion about Cilantro got me thinking one of my two favorite Mexican dishes. Pozole Rojo

4 ounces guajillo, california, chili pods
Salt
1 large (108 ounce) can white hominy, drained and rinsed
3 lbs pork shoulder. Cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch cubes (can also use pork shanks), make sure to use a cut well marbled with fat
2 lbs of pork neck bones
4 cloves roughly chopped, and 4 whole cloves
3 bay leaves
12oz of beer.
Fill a large 10-12 quart stockpot with 5 quarts of water. Bring to a boil.
Remove and discard the stems, seeds, and large veins from the chili pods. Heat a cast iron pan on medium high and lightly roast the chili pods for a couple minutes, until they begin to soften. While the chilies are heating, bring a medium pot with 3 cups of water to a boil. Once the chiles have softened, submerge them in the pot with the 3 cups of hot water, cover the pot and remove from heat. Let the chiles soak in the hot water for 15 to 20 minutes. After cool down puréeing the chiles in a blender with 4 cloves of garlic.
Place pork shoulder and neck bones into pot along with red chili sauce to the pot with the pork and hominy. Add another couple teaspoons of of salt. Return to a simmer, lower the heat to just high enough to maintain a simmer, partially covered. Cook for 2-3 hours until the pork is completely tender. Skim away excess fat. About 1 into the cooking time add your can of beer. Taste for seasoning and add more salt to taste
Prior to serving prepare garnishes of cilantro, cabbage, lemons, and onions. o serve, arrange the garnishes in bowls on the table and serve the pozole into bowls. Let your guests pick and choose which garnishes they would like on their pozole. This should serve about a dozen people.

The wife and I have been talking about making this for weeks now.
We usually make this in Fall or Winter.....but it seems this Heat wave doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon......so
Its time to "Fight Fire....With Fire!

Posole....Tuesday night!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back