Status
Not open for further replies.
My recipe, at present (always subject to changes):

----------------------------------------------------------

A variation on
TRADITIONAL TEXAS CHILI

INGREDIENTS

Ingredients: 18-21 total

2-lbs Beef, shoulder cut (chuck; smoked brisket is a variation.)
1-lb Pork, shoulder cut (picnic: roast or arm steak)
Inexpensive cuts of mature meat
(See notes under Preparation; Page Three)

>¼-c Pork leaf lard, rendered
A total of 1/3 to 1/2-cup for cooking; divided in two
(See notes under Preparation, Page Four & Five)

3-ea Anaheim chile peppers (or, dried Anchos)
3-ea Pasilla chile peppers (or dried Cascabel [NM dried red])
3-ea Jalapeno chile peppers (or [2-ea] Serrano)
1-ea Habanero chile pepper (or [3-ea] de Arbol)
(See notes, under Preparation; Page Eight)
(Selection on Five & Six)

6-ea Medium white onions, roughly chopped.
8-ea Garlic cloves, [6 minced] [2 crushed to paste, separately]

1.5-Tbs Oregano, Mexican (Lippia graveolens: Mexican oregano is stronger and less sweet, suited to spicy, hot, cumin-flavored dishes).

1-Tbs Comino seeds, crushed (optionally parched; Tolbert, op. cit.)

2-Tbs Salt (Redmond RealSalt, preferred)
------ Black pepper, freshly-ground; to taste

1-qt Water, spring or filtered; approx

------------------------------------------------------

COOKING

Total time is about five hours after preparation.

First Two Hours (or a little less)
In a LODGE Dutch Oven: Use ½ of rendered fats, heat on medium high (280-300F or so, but not smoking), and, in batches small enough not to crowd oven bottom, quickly brown the pork & beef at about 2-3” per side. Remove batches with slotted spoon to heatproof bowl. De-glaze oven bottom with wooden scraper and add second ½ of fat.

Sauté onions and garlic once fat has heated back up. Add meat back to oven, add water to barely cover, bring to boil over medium heat, and simmer low (185-190F) for one hour. Skim some fat, but not all at this time.

Third & Fourth Hours
At beginning of second hour past boiling, add one-half or less of chiles minced (not pureed), stir, and continue slow simmer for two hours. Add water as necessary to keep covered.

Parch comino seeds in a small, preheated cast-iron skillet, for several minutes.
Grind comino seeds & oregano (separately) in a molcajete. Cover until used.

Fifth Hour
Add ground comino and oregano to the Dutch Oven, mixing it thoroughly at the beginning of the fourth hour past boiling. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Adjust all these seasonings after 20”. Add the balance of the chile peppers (or, the entirety of the chile puree) stir well, and adjust to taste after another 20”.

Stir chili a final time. If serving the following day (or beyond) allow cooling completely, then refrigerating, tightly covered. Reheat on low, uncovered, (with several tablespoons of water to re-hydrate if necessary).

Side Dishes
Serve with:
Cornbread (see attached recipe)
Pinto Beans (see attached recipe)
Tamales: beef, pork, bean
Saltines
Brown sugar
Cheddar cheese, finely grated

-------------------------------------------------------
Original Texas-style Chili
“This contains no vegetables at all, except chiles which have been prepared by being boiled, peeled, and chopped. The meat is simply bite-size – traditionally, the size of a pecan nut – or coarsely ground, with 1/2-inch plate holes in a meat grinder as standard. It must always be beef, venison, pork or other mature meats. Stewing meat also works well. Prime beef and veal, on the other hand, are not suitable for chili, as they tend not to remain solid. Many cooks omit the suet as being greasy, although it adds a key flavor. For an "elevated" flavor, one uses four pepper pods per pound of meat; for a milder "beginners'" version, use only 2-3 pods. Chili powder is a barely adequate substitute in the original recipe; it lacks the subtle sting of the pods. (A heaping teaspoon of chili powder is the approximate equivalent of one average-size chile pod.)”

Ref: Institute of Texas Cultures Research Library;
Cooper, Joe E., With Or Without Beans; co. 1952 W.S. Henson, ASIN: B006ATJ1A
Tolbert, Frank X., A Bowl of Red; co. 1972 Doubleday, ISBN: 0385181825

http://www.chilicookoff.com/History/History_of_Chili.asp
http://whatscookingamerica.net/History/Chili/ChiliHistory.htm
http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/chiliconcarne1.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chili_con_carne

Just made some on Friday night. Cooked the pintos separately, but forgot to get fresh cornmeal for the cornbread. Son coming home Friday, so glad I made plenty.

----------------------------------------------------------

Here are some online recipes that looked pretty good:

HALFTIME CHILI
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/1201

DING DONG CHILI
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/1201

-----------------------------------------------------------

And a great source of dried spices for chili:

PENDERY'S
http://www.penderys.com/

Especially, Dallas Dynamite and the classic Chilitamine [sp?]. See PDF for these and chili powder spice combinations used by contest winners, etc.

bump
Hello all,
I made a batch of chili witht the liquid smoke. It is totally cheating and certainly NOT authentic. But it tastes wonderful-- the smoke flavor is better than I got from my favorite brand of Chipotles.
smile.gif

Now all i have to do is think up some good lie about the ingredients. I can't tell people that i use 'liquid-smoke.' Maybe hickory smoked ham? I smoke my own poblanos? Hmmmm.

Christmas Eve is chili, cornbread and tamales. Glad to be able to find good sources for all. Stopped by the butcher shop yesterday to get some pork and beef ground to size. Already have rendered beef and pork suet. Beans to cook up separately.

Family persuaded me to add to chili recipe above: 1-ea; 15-oz can of Muir Glen fire-roasted diced tomatoes (drained) and 1-Tbs of dark brown sugar near the end of cooking.

I guess that striving for a somewhat "authentic" chili isn't a matter of beans/no-beans, but of tomatoes/no-tomatoes. Beans would have always been easy to procure in Texas from the mid-1800's, but not tomatoes (considered poisonous in regions of Europe/US where they didn't grow until early 19th century IIRC).

stirthepot.gif

I have not had a great bowl of red at any resturant in a long long time! For the most part the best small resturant chilli's I have had have been in the south and in the south west. The best stuff seems to come from hole in the wall greasy spoons!!!! Homemade is the best. I like mine hot but once I got married I had to make it mild-bland so the wife and kids can eat it. I like to makeit out of beef and vension. I never cared for pork shoulder in my chili! Mind you I would still eat a good bowl of red made with pork shoulder I just do not use it in mine. Chedar,Colby and American chesse all good good with a bowl of red. My favorite thing though is to take stale home made bread or a really dense hard crusted european bread and dip it in the chili or tear it into pieces and put in the chili!!! I like to make a dry chili in the summer for hotdogs!

The Xmas Eve batch was made with 1.5-lbs of meat, etc, plus 2-habanero's, 3-serranos, 2-jalapenos and 12-anchos. Everyone's head got the glow . . . .
thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back